This Palmini rice bake only requires four ingredients and is a delicious and filling low carb vegetarian meal with wonderful Italian flavors and colors!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I'm a huge fan of Palmini products – and have used their noodles in many recipes (buy them from Amazon and Netrition). But they also make rice, and so far I have only used them in my low carb biryani recipe.
If you've never tried them, they're made from hearts of palm, and are super convenient as well as not needing long to cook. I thought that the Palmini rice would perfectly in a baked dish, and decided to give the recipe an Italian flair. It's super quick to make and very tasty – you'll love it!
Check out all my Palmini recipes!
How to Make an Italian Palmini Rice Bake
Roughly chop some baby spinach and place it in a bowl, together with some low carb pizza sauce or marinara – I love the Rao's brand which you can buy from Amazon and some grocery stores. It's only 2g net carbs per quarter cup serving. Organico Bello pizza sauce is another good alternative which you can buy from Netrition.
Drain and rinse the Palmini rice, then add it to the bowl. Stir to mix thoroughly.
Spoon the mixture into a small baking dish and level it out. Place slices of fresh mozzarella over the top, and grind some black pepper over everything.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is starting to brown.
The Palmini rice holds its texture but absorbs all the fantastic flavors of the pizza sauce. The spinach adds some bonus nutrition and the ooey gooey mozzarella finishes everything off perfectly!
You could also serve this as a low carb side dish for four people to share!
- 12 oz (net weight) Palmini rice, drained and rinsed
- 2 oz fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup low carb pizza sauce, eg Rao's
- 2 oz sliced fresh mozzarella (about 5-6 slices)
- black pepper
- fresh basil, optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the Palmini rice, baby spinach and pizza sauce together in a bowl. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a small baking dish and level it out. Place slices of fresh mozzarella over the top, and grind some black pepper over everything.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is starting to brown.
6g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 163Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 18mgSodium 891mgCarbohydrates 11gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 5gProtein 11g