Creamed asparagus is a delicious and filling side dish recipe that's low carb, gluten free, and keto friendly!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe inspiration comes from many sources; this recipe came about because in my recent grocery delivery I received some asparagus that I didn't order – bonus!
But on the day I came to cook it, it was cold and gray and rainy – so I wanted a dish that was more hearty than I might normally make with asparagus. And so, creamed asparagus was invented! (Actually it turns out that I didn't invent it – but great minds think alike and all that!)
Lemon balm grows profusely in my herb garden in the summer, and I loved the idea of using it to add a lemon flavor to the recipe. You could omit it if you prefer, or add some lemon zest or a splash of lemon juice instead.
How to Make Creamed Asparagus
Remove and discard any woody ends from the asparagus. Chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces, and place them in a baking dish. In a jug or bowl, combine heavy cream, garlic paste, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper.
Slice some fresh lemon balm leaves and add them to the jug. Stir well, then pour the mixture over the asparagus. Stir to coat the asparagus.
Cover and roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir again, and sprinkle some more grated Parmesan over the top. Return to the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
Check out all my low carb and keto asparagus recipes!
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh lemon balm leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces, and place them in a baking dish.
- In a jug or bowl, combine the heavy cream, garlic paste, ¼ cup of the grated Parmesan, salt, pepper, and lemon balm.
- Stir well, then pour the mixture over the asparagus. Stir to coat the asparagus.
- Cover and roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir again, and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan over the top. Return to the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
6.3g net carbs per serving (quarter of the whole recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 78mgSodium 389mgCarbohydrates 8.6gNet Carbohydrates 6.3gFiber 2.3gSugar 3gProtein 8g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.