This sugar free and low carb cherry dessert is made from Jello and ricotta, and is perfect for Valentine's Day!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Although this dessert can be made with any flavor of Jello, I decided to use cherry because it isn't a fruit I often get to work with, and it gives such a fantastic color! There are various different ways of making this “standard” low carb dessert – sugar free Jello can be mixed with cream cheese, small curd cottage cheese, or in this case, ricotta! As the flavor of ricotta is so mild, the dessert really doesn't taste cheesy at all, and in fact it slightly dulls down the synthetic Jello taste in quite a pleasing way!
How to Make a Low Carb Cherry Ricotta Dessert
Pour the sugar free cherry Jello crystals into a deep bowl and pour one cup of boiling water over them. Whisk until the crystals have all dissolved. Add one cup of ice cold water and whisk again. Let cool, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Getting the timing of this is a little tricky as you don't want the Jello to be too set – so if in doubt leave it in for a shorter time instead of longer.
Remove from the Jello from the fridge, add the ricotta cheese, and use an electric whisk to mix the Jello and ricotta together until smooth and well blended. My hand mixer is really powerful which is very useful for this recipe – you want to get that ricotta properly incorporated so the final result doesn't feel grainy.
Divide the mixture between two glasses or bowls, cover, and return to the fridge for at least an hour.Low Carb Cherry Ricotta Dessert #lowcarb #sugarfree #lowcarbvalentines Click To Tweet
- 0.3 oz box sugar free Jello, cherry flavor
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice cold water
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- low carb dark chocolate, grated (optional)
- Pour the Jello into a deep bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Whisk until the crystals have all dissolved.
- Add the ice cold water and whisk again. Let cool, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, add the ricotta cheese, and use an electric whisk to mix the Jello and ricotta together until smooth and well blended.
- Divide the mixture between two glasses or bowls, cover, and return to the fridge for at least an hour.
- Just before serving, grate some dark chocolate over the top, if desired.
3g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 Dessert
Amount Per ServingCalories 115Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 31mgSodium 88mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 0gProtein 7g