This low carb sticky toffee pudding is a fantastic sugar free dessert!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Sticky Toffee Pudding is an English dessert that became popular in the 1970s. Traditionally, it is a sponge cake made with dates, that is then covered in thick toffee sauce.
My version is, in truth, more like an individual almond cake with a caramel sauce poured over the top. But the effect works – and it’s super tasty! The warm sauce soaks into the cake and it’s the perfect balance of moistness and sweetness. The cake is based on my Triple Almond Cake recipe, but I’ve increased the almond flour to make it a little denser. And the sauce is a version of my Caramel Apple Sauce – it isn’t as dark as a regular toffee sauce – but it does the job perfectly!
To make the cake, mix together an egg yolk, melted butter, heavy cream, baking powder and sweetener (I used xylitol, but granular Swerve would also work well). Stir in some almond flour to make a thick paste.
Whisk the egg white until soft peaks form, then fold it carefully into the almond mixture.
Spoon the mixture into individual pudding cups (mine held about ¾ cup each and the mixture filled two-thirds of the way up). Place on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the center is cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
These can be made in advance, then either warmed in the microwave or served cold. As long as the sauce is warm, either will work! For the sauce, add butter, sweetener, and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and keep cooking for 5 minutes – but don’t let it burn! Add a pinch of thickener (like xanthan gum or LC Thickener) if you have it – this will make the sauce pleasingly gloopy!
Transfer the almond cakes to two serving plates, then pour the warm sauce over the top. You could serve it with low carb vanilla ice cream or whipped cream – but I really don’t think it needs it!
Low Carb Sticky Toffee Pudding #lowcarb #sugarfree #keto Click To Tweet
- 1 egg separated
- 1 tbs unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sweetener eg xylitol or granular Swerve
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs low carb sweetener
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of low carb thickener optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the cake, mix together the egg yolk, melted butter, heavy cream, baking powder and sweetener. Stir in the almond flour to make a thick paste.
- Whisk the egg white until soft peaks form, then fold it carefully into the almond mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into individual pudding cups. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the center is cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- For the sauce, add the butter, sweetener, and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and keep cooking for 5 minutes - but don't let it burn! Add a pinch of thickener (if using) and whisk until thickened.
- Place the almond cakes onto serving plates, then pour the warm sauce over the top.
5g net carbs per serving (not including sugar alcohols from the sweetener)