This keto immune boost smoothie is made from a powerhouse of ingredients such as spinach, avocado, turmeric, and more!
This post may contain affiliate links.
This recipe has the same aims as my low carb turmeric shots – to make my own versions of “health” drinks commonly available and to promote the consumption of superfoods on low carb and keto diets!
With this green smoothie I have crammed in as many immunity-boosting ingredients as possible. Check it out:
- Baby spinach – rich in vitamins A, C, and K, plus magnesium, folate, iron, and calcium
- Avocado – high in vitamins B5, B6, C, E, and K, plus folate and potassium
- English cucumber – a good source of vitamins A, C and K, plus potassium, calcium, and iron
- Fresh lime juice – excellent source of vitamin C
- Fresh ginger root – contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals but has many other properties such as improving digestion, easing a cold or flu, and reducing inflammation – to name but a few!
- Ground turmeric – a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis, and help prevent heart disease
- Black pepper – Although not essential to this recipe, research has shown that combining the piperine in black pepper with the curcumin in turmeric significantly enhances curcumin absorption.
- Water – OK – so this just helps you stay hydrated, but that's no bad thing!
Now I will mention at this point that this is a very savory smoothie – if you prefer them a little sweeter then you might like to add some low carb honey, homemade low carb simple syrup, or your favorite liquid sweetener.
How to Make a Keto Immune-Boost Smoothie
Start by adding the raw baby spinach to a decent blender – I highly recommend a Ninja blender! Dice an avocado and add it to the blender. Peel some English cucumber and roughly chop it, then add it to the blender.
Next, juice half a lime – I really feel like fresh juice is preferable for this recipe than bottled. And it's so easy with a hand-squeezer!
The final few ingredients are ginger root, turmeric and black pepper. I often see measurements for ginger in inches – which I think is ridiculous given their irregular shape!
I used a piece of ginger that was 1½ oz unpeeled, and ¾ oz when peeled. Roughly chop it and add to the blender, along with ground turmeric and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
Add some water – start with 1½ cups – and blend on the highest setting until smooth. If the drink is too thick, add another ½ cup of water and pulse a few times.
This recipe makes two servings – so if you're enjoying this on your own then the second serving will keep in the fridge for a day – but may start to separate. Just whisk it before drinking – or like I did – store it in the single serve cup for the Ninja and whizz it briefly the next day.
- 1 cup packed raw baby spinach (approx 1¼ oz)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 6 oz English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- Half a fresh lime, juiced (approx. 2 tbs)
- 1½ oz fresh ginger root, peeled
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½-2 cups water
- Sweetener to taste if necessary - see main post for ideas
- Add all the ingredients apart from the water and sweetener (if using) to a blender.
- Pour in 1½ cups water and blend on the highest setting until smooth. If the drink is too thick, add another ½ cup of water and pulse a few times.
- Taste for sweetness and add sugar free honey, low carb simple syrup, or liquid sweetener if desired.
This recipe makes two servings - so if you're enjoying this on your own then the second serving will keep in the fridge for a day - but may start to separate. Just whisk it before drinking - or like I did - store it in the single serve cup for the Ninja and whizz it briefly the next day.
4.7g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1½ cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 126Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 1.5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 16mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 4.7gFiber 5.3gSugar 1.4gProtein 2.2g