This diet coke cake has a wonderful chocolate fudge taste, and is low carb, gluten free, and sugar free!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
NOT that I'm making excuses – BUT. If you don't like diet coke or don't allow it on your diet plan – please just move along to the next recipe. I don't drink coffee or tea – but I *do* drink diet coke. A girl has to get her caffeine from somewhere… 🙂
I received mixed reviews for my Diet Coke Chicken recipe that I wrote a few years ago. I *get* that some people don't like aspartame. But the recipe is a good one, and it IS low carb. So when I discovered there was such a thing as a Diet Coke cake – I just HAD to experiment! And here are some cola alternatives:
- Zevia Cola – zero carb and sweetened with stevia – available from Amazon and Netrition
- Celcius Sparkling Cola – 2g net carbs and sweetened with sucralose
- Virgil's Zero Sugar Cola – zero carb and sweetened with erythritol – available from Amazon
- Diet Cola Syrup for a Soda Stream – zero net carbs and sweetened with sucralose
I saw several recipes online that use a box of chocolate cake mix and replace the eggs with a large can of diet coke. I usually have the mini “sleek” cans at home, so I decided to make a basic chocolate cake with almond flour, then add in the diet coke and some egg whites.
What's in this Article?
How to Make a Low Carb Diet Coke Cake
To make the cake, stir together almond flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, low carb sweetener (eg Lakanto or granular Swerve), baking powder and salt. It might not seem like enough sweetener for a cake, but remember that the soda will add some sweetness. Stir in the Diet Coke. It will froth up but will soon calm down after you have combined it.
In a separate bowl, whisk two egg whites together until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the rest of the mixture.
Spoon the cake batter into a cake tin (I used a 9″ springform pan but an 8″ would probably be better). Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the center of the cake is cooked. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
To make the ganache frosting, melt some unsweetened chocolate in the microwave. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then whisk in some heavy cream, softened unsalted butter, and low carb sweetener. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Spoon the frosting onto the cooled cake and spread it evenly.
Could I taste the diet coke in this cake? No, I couldn't. But the cake DOES taste good, and has the added bonus then when I told my husband and son what the cake was called – they didn't want to try and left it all to me! So it depends what your goals are, LOL!
To make the cake:
- 2½ cups almond flour
- 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbs low carb sweetener , eg Lakanto
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 7.5 oz Diet Coke
- 2 egg whites
To make the ganache frosting:
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbs low carb sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- To make the cake, stir together the almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the Diet Coke. It will froth up but will soon calm down after you have combined it.
- In a separate bowl, whisk two egg whites together until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the rest of the mixture.
- Spoon the cake batter into a 9" springform cake tin. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the center of the cake is cooked. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the ganache frosting, melt the unsweetened chocolate in the microwave.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then whisk in the heavy cream, softened unsalted butter, and low carb sweetener. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon the frosting onto the cooled cake.
6g net carbs per slice (incl frosting).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size Eighth of the cake
Amount Per Serving Calories 301Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 25mgSodium 91mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 9g