These low carb honey-chipotle skewers are both sweet and spicy! A keto-friendly and sugar-free recipe that's perfect for the grilling season!
This post may contain affiliate links.
It's official – I've gone chipotle-mad! I just LOVE that smoky heat that it adds to any dish. With this recipe, I've made a marinade for chicken skewers but added a little sweetness from some low carb honey.
There are two main options for the honey that I'm aware of – but if you have a recommendation please comment below!
Low Carb Honey Alternatives
The first option is from Nature’s Hollow. I’ve never seen this in stores, but you can buy it from Netrition, It's 1g net carb per tablespoon, and sweetened with xylitol. It's a little thinner than regular honey but has a good flavor.
The second honey alternative is from Honey Tree. I picked mine up from Walmart – current price according to their site is $2.38, but if you really want to you can buy a three-pack from Amazon for $22.00! It is thick and gloopy, and tastes very good. However, it is sweetened with maltitol and sorbitol and is 2g net carbs per tablespoon.
Update: Read my full review of honey alternatives or make your own zero carb honey!
How to Make Honey Chipotle Chicken Skewers
To make the marinade, combine the sugar free honey with some low carb ketchup (I love the G Hughes brand which you can buy from Netrition or Amazon), white wine (or apple cider) vinegar, and a spoonful of sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce. You could substitute the sauce with chipotle powder if needed.
Add cubed chicken breast to the bowl, and stir to coat. Cover and store in the fridge for at least an hour.
Meanwhile, if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for an hour before they are required. Thread the chicken onto the skewers – I used six 8″ skewers – and season with salt and pepper. Discard any remaining marinade.
Cook on a hot grill for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
The combination of the sweet honey and spicy, smoky chipotle is SO good – it really elevates the chicken!
Enjoy these skewers on their own, or try adding them to a low carb wrap!
- 4 tbs low carb honey
- 2 tbs low carb tomato ketchup
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1-2 tsp sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and black pepper
- To make the marinade, combine the honey, ketchup, vinegar, and adobo sauce in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and store in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for an hour before they are required.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Cook on a hot grill for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
Nutritional data is approximate because not all the marinade is consumed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 3 skewers (half the recipe)
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 1.2gCholesterol 149mgSodium 415mgCarbohydrates 1.3gNet Carbohydrates 1.3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 37g