This low carb Cajun dish features spicy creamy shrimp in a gorgeous sauce! Serve it over steak or with cauliflower rice!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I have mentioned many times on this blog that I *love* the combination of spicy heat with cream and/or cheese. I often use chipotle for the heat – Creamy Chipotle Sauce, Chipotle Cauliflower Cheese, Low Carb Chicken Chipotle Pasta – and sometimes jalapeños: creamy jalapeño chicken, cream-cheese stuffed jalapeños, cheese soup with jalapeños – you get the idea!
So when I saw this recipe for Steak with Creamy Cajun Shrimp Sauce – I just knew that I wanted to try this different flavor profile! And all the surf and turf idea appealed, I decided to make the shrimp the star of the dish in my adapted version.
I changed the ratios of the recipe quite a bit though – it sounded like there was WAY too much cream for the shrimp. It resulted in producing an easy recipe that comes together pretty quickly, with a fantastic bold flavor!
Check out all my low carb spicy recipes!
How to Make Low Carb Cajun Creamy Shrimp
Melt some butter in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat. Add some raw shrimp (deveined, peeled, and tail on or off depending on your preference). Sauté for about 5 minutes until the shrimp are mostly pink all over, stirring frequently.
Add some dry white wine (or chicken broth) to deglaze the pan, then add heavy cream, Dijon mustard, and Cajun seasoning. Stir well.
Continue to simmer for another few minutes, then add some grated Parmesan cheese.
Allow it to melt into the sauce – it will thicken the sauce a little too – then serve, garnished with chopped fresh parsley and black pepper.
You could serve this as a sauce over steak (as the original recipe intended) for four people to share, or with cauliflower rice or one of these low carb spaghetti alternatives for two people as a main meal.
Love Cajun food? Check out my new recipe for low carb jambalaya!
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 lb raw shrimp, deveined, peeled, and tail on or off depending on your preference
- ¼ cup dry white wine (or vegetable or chicken broth)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
- black pepper
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat. Add the shrimp and sauté for about 5 minutes until the shrimp are mostly pink all over, stirring frequently.
- Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, then add the heavy cream, Dijon mustard, and Cajun seasoning. Stir well.
- Continue to simmer for another few minutes, then add some grated Parmesan cheese. Allow it to melt into the sauce - it will thicken the sauce a little too - then serve, garnished with chopped fresh parsley and black pepper.
4.2g net carbs per serving (based on two servings)
2.1g net carbs per serving (based on four servings)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 608Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 465mgSodium 1206mgCarbohydrates 4.2gNet Carbohydrates 4.2gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 51g