This low carb Singapore Sling is a delicious and fruity gin-based cocktail. A sugar free and keto friendly recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
So what exactly IS a Singapore Sling? Here's a little about its history from The Spruce Eats:
The Singapore sling is a classic gin cocktail that has enchanted drinkers for over a century. The popular story is that it was developed around 1915 by Ngiam Tong Boon at the Long Bar in Singapore's Raffles Hotel. Though its origin is debatable, it is a semisweet, sparkling fruity punch with a delightfully complex flavor.”
Ingredients for a Traditional Singapore Sling
After doing some research, I discovered there are MANY variations – but most fall into one of two categories:
- The “original” version (as referenced in the 1930s edition of “The Savoy Cocktail Book“) of gin, cherry brandy, lemon juice and sometimes sugar OR
- A more contemporary version that includes gin, Cherry Heering, Benedictine, Cointreau, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine, bitters, and soda water!
This latter version isn't a “sling” at all – according to the Washington Post, the definition of a sling is:
A sling is one of the oldest mixed drinks, really just a cold toddy: liquor, sugar, lemon, water. A sling is the cousin of the rickey and the Collins.”
I decided to make my version closer to the original, using gin, regular brandy, and lemon juice. I then planned to finish it with a low carb cherry-flavored sparkling water or soda – and there are many to choose from!
- Waterloo Black Cherry Sparkling Water
- 7up Diet Cherry Soda
- bubly Cherry Sparkling Water
- Sparkling Ice Cherry Limeade Sparkling Water
- Dr. Brown's Diet Black Cherry Soda
- Zevia Black Cherry Soda
I decided to go with the Sparkling Ice as it has a flavor nearer to red cherry rather than black, and the added lime would work really well in the cocktail. Plus it's zero carb and tastes great!
How to Make a Low Carb Singapore Sling
To a cocktail shaker, add gin, brandy, lemon (or lime) juice, and ice.
Shake well, then pour into a tall glass (like a Collins glass) filled with fresh ice. Top up with your cherry-flavored water or soda of choice.
Garnish with lime, and serve.
This drink contains just 0.3g net carbs! And if you omit the lemon juice, it would be a zero carb cocktail!
Low Carb Singapore Sling
This Singapore Sling is a delicious and fruity gin-based cocktail that contains just 0.3g net carbs!
- 3 tbs (1½ fl oz) gin
- 1 tbs (½ fl oz) brandy
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup low carb cherry-flavored water or soda
- lime slice, optional garnish
- To a cocktail shaker, add the gin, brandy, lemon juice, and ice.
- Shake well, then pour into a tall glass (like a Collins glass) filled with fresh ice.
- Top up with the cherry water or soda.
- Garnish with a lime slice, and serve.
0.3g net carbs per serving (whole recipe) Omit the lemon juice for a truly zero carb cocktail!
See the main post for options and alternatives for the cherry soda.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size Whole recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 103Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1.6mgCarbohydrates 0.3gNet Carbohydrates 0.3gFiber 0gProtein 0g