This low carb Singapore Sling is a delicious and fruity gin-based cocktail. A sugar free and keto friendly recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
So what exactly IS a Singapore Sling? Here's a little about its history from The Spruce Eats:
The Singapore sling is a classic gin cocktail that has enchanted drinkers for over a century. The popular story is that it was developed around 1915 by Ngiam Tong Boon at the Long Bar in Singapore's Raffles Hotel. Though its origin is debatable, it is a semisweet, sparkling fruity punch with a delightfully complex flavor.”
Ingredients for a Traditional Singapore Sling
After doing some research, I discovered there are MANY variations – but most fall into one of two categories:
- The “original” version (as referenced in the 1930s edition of “The Savoy Cocktail Book“) of gin, cherry brandy, lemon juice and sometimes sugar OR
- A more contemporary version that includes gin, Cherry Heering, Benedictine, Cointreau, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine, bitters, and soda water!
This latter version isn't a “sling” at all – according to the Washington Post, the definition of a sling is:
A sling is one of the oldest mixed drinks, really just a cold toddy: liquor, sugar, lemon, water. A sling is the cousin of the rickey and the Collins.”
I decided to make my version closer to the original, using gin, regular brandy, and lemon juice. I then planned to finish it with a low carb cherry-flavored sparkling water or soda – and there are many to choose from!
- Waterloo Black Cherry Sparkling Water
- 7up Diet Cherry Soda
- bubly Cherry Sparkling Water
- Sparkling Ice Cherry Limeade Sparkling Water
- Dr. Brown's Diet Black Cherry Soda
- Zevia Black Cherry Soda
I decided to go with the Sparkling Ice as it has a flavor nearer to red cherry rather than black, and the added lime would work really well in the cocktail. Plus it's zero carb and tastes great!
How to Make a Low Carb Singapore Sling
To a cocktail shaker, add gin, brandy, lemon (or lime) juice, and ice.
Shake well, then pour into a tall glass (like a Collins glass) filled with fresh ice. Top up with your cherry-flavored water or soda of choice.
Garnish with lime, and serve.
This drink contains just 0.3g net carbs! And if you omit the lemon juice, it would be a zero carb cocktail!
- 3 tbs (1½ fl oz) gin
- 1 tbs (½ fl oz) brandy
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup low carb cherry-flavored water or soda
- lime slice, optional garnish
- To a cocktail shaker, add the gin, brandy, lemon juice, and ice.
- Shake well, then pour into a tall glass (like a Collins glass) filled with fresh ice.
- Top up with the cherry water or soda.
- Garnish with a lime slice, and serve.
0.3g net carbs per serving (whole recipe) Omit the lemon juice for a truly zero carb cocktail!
See the main post for options and alternatives for the cherry soda.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size Whole recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 103Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1.6mgCarbohydrates 0.3gNet Carbohydrates 0.3gFiber 0gProtein 0g
Check out my Low Carb Cocktails Recipes Ebook!
If you want more low carb cocktail recipes, check out my mini ebook!