This stuffed Italian chicken dish is filled with wonderful Italian flavors – it's perfect for a low carb dinner! Gluten free, LCHF, and keto friendly recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Like most people, I *love* Italian food. But as low-carbers we have to give up so much of it, or find processed low carb alternatives (which I do – frequently!). But if you like clean eating, then here's a great low carb way of eating some Italian food! Like my Pizza Dip – I've taken some of the best flavors including tomato, cheese, oregano and basil – and combined them into a delicious recipe!
Although it might sound tricky, this meal is definitely easy enough to prepare for a weeknight meal – can be prepared in advance, too!
Check out all my low carb chicken recipes!
How to Make Stuffed Italian Chicken
Prepare the filling for the chicken by combining cream cheese, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning and black pepper. Place a spoonful of the mixture at the end of thinly sliced chicken breasts (I buy mine pre-sliced).
Roll them up and place them in a baking dish that you have sprayed with some olive oil.
Mix together some canned tomato sauce (passata, not ketchup!) with some dried oregano – or more Italian seasoning if you prefer. Pour it over the chicken.
Roast in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until an internal temperature of 180F has been reached. A probe thermometer is very useful for this recipe! When the chicken is at 170F or so, sprinkle with grated cheese (I use an Italian blend), then return to the oven until the chicken has finished cooking.
Serve with salad, green beans or a dish like my Sauteed Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Lemon and Basil or Lemon Garlic Broccoli. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken when serving, although you won't need all of it! Garnish with chopped fresh oregano or basil.
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 tbs chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- black pepper
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts
- olive oil spray
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup grated cheese
- fresh oregano or basil, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare the filling for the chicken roll-ups by combining cream cheese, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture at the end of thinly sliced chicken breasts. Roll them up and place them in a baking dish that you have sprayed with some olive oil.
- Mix together the tomato sauce with the dried oregano and pour it over the chicken.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until an internal temperature of 180F has been reached. When the chicken is at 170F or so, sprinkle with grated cheese, then return to the oven until the chicken has finished cooking.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken when serving. Garnish with chopped fresh oregano or basil.
8g net carbs per serving Note: Only half the tomato sauce is included in the data as not all is required for serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 613Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 237mgSodium 957mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 60g
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!