This low carb taco salad is a wonderful way to enjoy your favorite Mexican flavors with a fraction of the carbohydrates! Gluten free and keto friendly recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Mexican food can often feel heavy and filling – which is great if you want some comfort food on a cold day. But if you want to enjoy the same flavors in a lighter dish, this salad is perfect for you!
It contains a fantastic union of ground beef, avocado, cheese, lettuce, salsa, and more! To season the beef I have used my low carb Mexican seasoning blend – which I have made up in bulk in the pantry at all times. It's just dried oregano, cumin, and paprika – and it's a wonderful way to seasoning everything from steak to chicken to shrimp!
Check out all my low carb salad recipes!
How to Make a Low Carb Taco Salad
Add a little olive oil to a large skillet and place over a medium heat. Add some ground beef and cook until browned all over, breaking it up as it cooks.
While the meat is cooking, prepare the base of the salad with shredded lettuce and halved cherry tomatoes. Dice an avocado but do not add it yet to the salad.
Drain any excess liquid from the cooked meat, then add the seasoning blend and some low carb salsa. I love the Green Mountain Gringo salsa which you can buy from Netrition (available in mild, medium, or hot!).
Remove from the heat and spoon the beef over the salad. Add some shredded cheese over the beef, then garnish with the avocado, together with some cilantro leaves and sliced fresh jalapeños. Serve warm.
You could also add black olives and/or sour cream, too!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 oz shredded lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ cup low carb salsa
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (eg Mexican blend)
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh cilantro leaves and sliced jalapeños, to garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and place over a medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned all over, breaking it up as it cooks.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the base of the salad with shredded lettuce and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Drain any excess liquid from the cooked meat, then add the oregano, cumin, paprika, and low carb salsa.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the beef over the salad. Add the shredded cheese over the beef, then garnish with the avocado, together with the cilantro and sliced jalapeños.
3g net carbs per serving (quarter of the salad)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 473Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 108mgSodium 275mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 35g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Check out my Low Carb Mexican Recipes Ebook!
If you adore Mexican food, you'll love this ebook collection of 18 delicious low carb Mexican recipes!