This low carb zucchini bake is a wonderful side dish or vegetarian entree. Gluten free and keto friendly recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This dish is a wonderful side dish – especially in the colder weather when the desire to eat comfort food is strong! You could also add some chopped cooked sausage or cooked bacon to it if you wanted to make it heartier, but then of course it wouldn't be vegetarian. 🙂
How to Make a Low Carb Zucchini Bake
Melt some butter in a large pan and add olive oil. Slice up some zucchini (two large or three medium), then sauté them in the pan until tender and starting to brown. You'll need to flip them over half way through cooking. Oh and I had to do mine in three batches!
Once the zucchini has cooked, drain on kitchen paper and then place in layers in a baking dish. In a bowl, mix together shredded cheese (I use an Italian blend), sour cream, chopped green onions, an egg, fresh chopped basil, salt and pepper. Actually the basil is optional but it does add a fantastic flavor.
Spread the mixture over the zucchini. Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven. Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
This dish works really well as a vegetarian meal for two people, or as a side dish for four people to accompany meat or fish.
#lowcarb Zucchini Bake is ideal for a vegetarian entree or side dish. Click To Tweet
- 2 large zucchini, or three medium
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese, eg Italian blend
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbs chopped green onions
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 380F.
- Slice the zucchini. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the oil.
- Sauté the zucchini until tender and starting to brown. Cook on both sides, then drain on kitchen paper. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Layer the cooked zucchini slices in a deep baking dish.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients, and spread over the zucchini.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes, uncover, then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
Two servings: 7g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 509Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 186mgSodium 546mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 18g