This roasted delicata squash recipe is a lower-carb alternative to sweet potato!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I saw a delicata squash on sale the other day – and decided to try it! I’ve never had it before, so I looked up the carb count: 2g net carbs per ounce, which means it’s quite low – but not super low. Delicata squash is named for its “delicate” skin – it’s thinner than many other squashes, so completely edible. I had to try it!
When looking for cooking methods, I found this idea from Skinnytaste. I adapted the method of coating the squash and some of the seasonings used – but it was a great starting point! The slices tasted fantastic – and although I served it as a side dish, it would also make a great snack – albeit an unconventional one! The taste is a little like a sweet potato (which is around 5g net carbs per ounce) – but although it’s lower in carbs than a sweet potato, make sure you exercise some portion control with this one – it isn’t a vegetable that you can pig out on! But it certainly makes a nice change, plus it’s a great source of vitamin C!
To prepare the squash, cut it in half length-ways, then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Then cut it in slices across the width.
Place the slices in a large resealable bag, then add olive oil, grated Parmesan, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Close the bag then “massage” everything around so that the squash is covered in both oil and seasonings. Place the squash on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
Season with salt and pepper, then roast in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the delicata squash is tender.
Enjoy!Roasted Delicata Squash - a delicious side dish recipe Click To Tweet
- 1 delicata squash (approx 1 lb) cut in half length-ways
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Scoop out the seeds from the squash with a spoon. Cut it in slices across the width.
- Place the slices in a large resealable bag, then add the olive oil, grated Parmesan, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Close the bag then "massage" everything around so that the squash is covered in both oil and seasonings. Place the squash on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- Season with salt and pepper, then roast in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the delicata squash is tender.
8g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!