These spaghetti squash fritters are a super delicious side dish! Low carb, keto, dairy free, and gluten free recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I’m a huge fan of spaghetti squash but I’ve never microwaved one before. My concern was that this method of cooking wouldn’t impart great flavor the way that roasting would. I decided I needed to do something with the cooked squash that elevated the vegetable. Hence, spaghetti squash fritters. 🙂
How to Make Spaghetti Squash Fritters
To cook the squash in the microwave, I poked it with a fork about 10-15 times, then cooked the whole thing on full power for 5 minutes. I carefully removed it from the microwave, cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.
I then cooked them again for 6 minutes – cut side down on a plate with a little water. After the cooking time the squash were super hot, so I let them cool down a little, then scooped out the squash.
If you’re interested in such things, the uncooked weight of the squash I used was 1lb 5oz. The cooked squash strands weighed 9.5oz.
You can also cook spaghetti squash in the oven or Instant Pot – check out all the different methods in my guide on How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash!
I let the spaghetti squash cool down further while I prepared the other ingredients: eggs, onion powder, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped fresh parsley (you could also use oregano, if you like), and lots of salt and black pepper.
I mixed everything together then dropped spoonfuls of it onto a hot non-stick skillet that I had sprayed with oil. This recipe makes 8 fritters.
After cooking for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat I turned them over and let them cook for another 2-3 minutes. I needed to cook them in two batches.
They work perfectly as a side dish to grilled meat or fish! And I particularly love the pop of flavor from the sun dried tomatoes!Spaghetti Squash Fritters - a delicious low carb side dish or snack! #lowcarb Click To Tweet
Spaghetti Squash Fritters
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 9.5 oz small spaghetti squash
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 tbs sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Pierce the squash with a fork 10-15 times then place it in the microwave and cook on full power for 5 minutes.
- Carefully cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash halves on a plate, cut side down, and add a little water. Return to the microwave and cook until the squash is very tender, about 5-6 mins.
- Let it cool, then scoop out the cooked squash.
- In a bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Add the cooled squash and stir well to combine.
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet and lightly spray with non-stick oil.
- Place spoonfuls of the squash mixture into the skillet and flatten slightly. Cook for 3 minutes then turn and cook on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!