The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I’m a huge fan of spaghetti squash but I’ve never microwaved one before. I happen to have the smallest microwave on the planet (well it feels that way) so when my grocery delivery company provided me with a pretty small spaghetti squash one day, I knew I just had to try microwaving it. My concern was that this method of cooking wouldn’t impart great flavor the way that roasting would. I decided I needed to do something with the cooked squash that elevated the vegetable. Hence, spaghetti squash fritters. 🙂
To cook the squash in the microwave, I poked it with a fork about 10-15 times, then cooked the whole thing on full power for 5 minutes. I carefully removed it from the microwave, cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.
I couldn’t find a plate or dish where the two halves could sit side by side and still fit in the micro-microwave, so I cooked them separately for 4 minutes – each cut side down on a plate with a little water.
After the cooking time the squash were super hot, so I let them cool down a little then scooped out the squash. If you’re interested in such things, the uncooked weight of the squash I used was 1lb 5oz. The cooked squash strands weighed 9.5oz.
I let the spaghetti squash cool down further while I prepared the other ingredients: eggs, onion powder, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, oregano (I used fresh but dried would be fine too), salt and black pepper.
I mixed everything together then dropped spoonfuls of it onto a hot non-stick skillet that I had sprayed with oil. This recipe makes 10 fritters about 2-3″ diameter. After cooking for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat I turned them over and let them cook for another 2-3 minutes.
My husband and I easily demolished all ten fritters as part of a lunch with a small steak. I’ve been asked if I can make these again. 🙂
Spaghetti Squash Fritters - a delicious low carb side dish or snack! #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2-3 tbs sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbs fresh oregano chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Pierce the squash with a fork 10-15 times then place it in the microwave and cook on full power for 5 minutes.
- Carefully cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash halves on a plate, cut side down, and add a little water. Return to the microwave and cook until the squash is very tender, 5-6 mins.
- Let it cool, then scoop out the cooked squash.
- In a bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Add the cooled squash and stir well to combine.
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet and lightly spray with non-stick oil.
- Place spoonfuls of the squash mixture into the skillet and flatten slightly. Cook for 3 minutes then turn and cook on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
8g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Snacks Recipes Ebook!
If you need more snack ideas, check out my book! Over 70 delicious sweet and savory recipes - all low carb, sugar free, and gluten free!
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!