Crispy seaweed is a delicious Asian side dish that is made from kale!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Crispy seaweed is my all time favorite way of eating kale. It is traditionally deep fried, but I’m not really a fan of that method in general, so this recipe involves shallow frying and roasting instead. Kale is super fantastically good for you – it is loaded with powerful antioxidants as well as many vitamins including vitamin A, C and K.
Check out my video tutorial or keep reading for the full instructions and a printable recipe card.
To prepare the kale, cut out the middle rib and chop the rest as finely as you can. Sauté in a little vegetable oil for a few minutes, then add Chinese five spice powder, salt, and sweetener. I use xylitol – you really don’t want something that tastes too artificial for this recipe, and you don’t need much. Stir well to mix.
Spread the kale out onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. Roast for 5-10 minutes until it goes crispy.
Enjoy this Asian Crispy "Seaweed" - made from kale!
- 16 oz kale
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon low carb sweetener optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove the central rib from the kale leaves, then chop the rest as finely as possible.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok and saute the chopped kale for 2 minutes until softened. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Spread the kale onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve warm.
6g net carbs based on four servings
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!