Crispy seaweed is a delicious Asian side dish that is made from kale! Low carb, keto, and sugar free recipe with video tutorial.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Crispy seaweed is my all time favorite way of eating kale. It is traditionally deep fried, but I'm not really a fan of that method in general, so this recipe involves shallow frying and roasting instead. Kale is super fantastically good for you – it is loaded with powerful antioxidants as well as many vitamins including vitamin A, C and K.
Check out my video tutorial or keep reading for the full instructions and a printable recipe card.
How to Make Crispy Seaweed from Kale
To prepare the kale, cut out the middle rib and chop the rest as finely as you can. Sauté in a little vegetable oil for a few minutes, then add Chinese five spice powder, salt, and sweetener. I recommend something like Lakanto or granular Swerve – you really don't want something that tastes too artificial for this recipe, and you don't need much. Stir well to mix.
Spread the kale out onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. Roast for 5-10 minutes until it goes crispy.
Enjoy this Chinese Crispy "Seaweed" - made from kale!
- 16 oz kale
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon low carb sweetener, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove the central rib from the kale leaves, then chop the rest as finely as possible.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok and saute the chopped kale for 2 minutes until softened. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Spread the kale onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve warm.
6g net carbs based on four servings
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 92Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 5gSodium 170mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 0gProtein 2g