These eggplant cheese melts are high in fiber, low in carbs, and have a wonderful blend of Italian flavors!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Although eggplants aren't super low in carbs, they're low enough and a great source of fiber. The flavors in this Italian style dish perfectly complement each other and it is a lunch I enjoy eating on a regular basis!
How to Make Italian Eggplant Cheese Melts
Slice an eggplant and lay the slices on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or similar. I don't usually include the very end pieces as I find too much eggplant skin isn't always a good thing! Spritz them with a little olive oil spray and place under the broiler (overhead grill) for 3 minutes until they are soft and starting to turn brown. Turn them over and cook again for another 3 minutes.
Then it's time to load up! Spread some tomato sauce*, shredded fresh basil leaves and a slice of prosciutto to each one.
To finish, sprinkle some shredded cheese over everything and season with black pepper.
*Confession time – I tried to make this one time and had every ingredient apart from the tomato sauce! I actually used some leftover homemade barbecue sauce. Not very Italian, but it worked!
Return to the broiler for just a minute or two until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of basil if you like that kind of thing!
Wonderful flavors in this #lowcarb Italian eggplant dish! Click To Tweet
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbs canned tomato sauce
- 4-6 large fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 5-6 slices prosciutto
- 6 tbs shredded cheese
- black pepper
- Preheat the broiler (overhead grill).
- Slice the eggplant into 5-6 slices. Lay them on a silicone mat or baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Place under a broiler for 3 minutes, flip the slices over and broil for another 3 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on each eggplant slice, then place basil leaves over the top.
- Place a slice of prosciutto on each slice of eggplant, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler again for 1-2 minutes until cheese has melted. Season with black pepper before serving.
Approx 8g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 48mgSodium 493mgCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 8gFiber 7gSugar 9gProtein 14g