These eggplant cheese melts are high in fiber, low in carbs, and have a wonderful blend of Italian flavors!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Although eggplants aren’t super low in carbs, they’re low enough and a great source of fiber. The flavors in this Italian style dish perfectly complement each other and it is a lunch I enjoy eating on a regular basis!
Slice an eggplant and lay the slices on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or similar. I don’t usually include the very end pieces as I find too much eggplant skin isn’t always a good thing! Spritz them with a little olive oil spray and place under the broiler (overhead grill) for 3 minutes until they are soft and starting to turn brown. Turn them over and cook again for another 3 minutes.
Then it’s time to load up! Spread some tomato sauce*, shredded fresh basil leaves and a slice of prosciutto to each one.
To finish, sprinkle some shredded cheese over everything and season with black pepper.
*Confession time – I tried to make this one time and every ingredient apart from the tomato sauce! I actually used some leftover homemade barbecue sauce. Not very Italian, but it worked!
Return to the broiler for just a minute or two until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of basil if you like that kind of thing!
Wonderful flavors in this #lowcarb Italian eggplant dish! Click To Tweet
Italian Eggplant Cheese Melts
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbs canned tomato sauce
- 4-6 large fresh basil leaves shredded
- 5-6 slices prosciutto
- 6 tbs shredded cheese
- black pepper
- Preheat the broiler (overhead grill).
- Slice the eggplant into 5-6 slices. Lay them on a silicone mat or baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Place under a broiler for 3 minutes, flip the slices over and broil for another 3 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on each eggplant slice, then place basil leaves over the top.
- Place a slice of prosciutto on each slice of eggplant, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler again for 1-2 minutes until cheese has melted. Season with black pepper before serving.
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!