These low carb hazelnut creams are filling, nutty, creamy, and delicious!
Disclosure: I was provided with this product from Bob’s Red Mill free of charge in exchange for my fair and honest review. Please see my disclosure policy. This post also contains affiliate links.
I’m a huge fan of Bob’s Red Mill products. I recently tried out their low carb bread mix, and this week I’m using their hazelnut meal in this gorgeous low carb dessert recipe. If you’re following a low carb high fat diet, this recipe is particularly suitable for you!
In a stand mixer, whisk two eggs until smooth, then add heavy cream, vanilla extract and low carb sweetener. I use Splenda but feel free to substitute your preferred low carb sweetener and adjust the net carb amount accordingly. Stir in the hazelnut meal.
Pour the mixture into four ramekins and place them in a deep-sided pan. Add boiling water to the pan until it comes to half way up the sides of the ramekins.
Place a lid over the pan and cook at a low simmer for 30-40 minutes until the hazelnut creams have set. Don’t heat them too quickly otherwise the mixture might curdle! When cooked, remove the ramekins from the water and leave to cool.
Place in the fridge until required. To serve, gently ease a knife around the edges of the ramekin and then turn out the hazelnut cream onto a small plate. These hazelnut creams are really quite filling, but not particularly sweet. I like to grate a tiny bit of low carb chocolate (like Lily’s!) over the top of them to add to the flavor balance.This delicious #lowcarb cream dessert is made using hazelnut meal. Click To Tweet
- ¼ cup hazelnut meal
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbs low carb sweetener
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- low carb chocolate optional
- In a stand mixer, whisk the eggs until smooth, then add the cream, sweetener and vanilla.
- Add the hazelnut meal and stir well.
- Pour the cream mixture into four ramekins. Place them in a deep sided frying pan, and pour boiling water into the pan until it comes half way up the ramekins.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the mixture has set.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan, leave to cool, then place in the fridge.
- To serve, use a knife to ease the hazelnut creams out of the ramekins and onto a plate. Grate some dark chocolate over the top if desired.
3g net carbs per serving (not including sugar alcohols from the sweetener)
Recipe adapted from The Low Carb Long Term Lifestyle by Carolyn Humphries.