These keto harissa chicken drumsticks are roasted to perfection and served with a mint yogurt dip! A very flavorful low carb recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
These drumsticks really pack a flavor punch! And the yogurt and fresh mint dip is the perfect contrast. But first of all, let's look at harissa…
What's in this Article?
What is Harissa?
According to Love Food:
Harissa originates from North Africa and while every region has its own variation and take on the paste, it’s particularly associated with Tunisia. The Spanish occupation of Tunisia in the 16th century is thought to have begun the spread of its influence around the world. Today, it’s estimated that a quarter of the world’s population eat harissa in any single day.”
For this recipe I'm using a harissa spice blend (also known as harissa powder or harissa seasoning), which you can find in the spices aisle in supermarkets or from Amazon.
It's a combination of paprika, garlic, caraway seeds, salt, cumin, and chili peppers. And it's zero carb! Once you have some harissa, you might want to try using it in other ways. Many recipes call for harissa paste, and all you need to do is mix the spice blend with some oil! As the powdered version lasts longer – it's the better choice!
How to Make Keto Harissa Chicken Drumsticks
Make the marinade by combining olive oil, harissa spice blend, and sugar free honey together in a large zip top bag. Actually the honey is optional but I like adding a touch of sweetness. Add the chicken drumsticks – a baggie stand is useful for this stage! Close the bag and massage the marinade around the chicken.
Place in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour. After that time, place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, then turn over. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 165F.
Meanwhile, make the dip by combining plain Greek yogurt, finely chopped fresh mint, and salt and pepper.
Let the drumsticks cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon wedges or slices and fresh mint.
The chicken is super moist and tender – but it can be rather messy to eat so make sure that you provide napkins.
It's also SUPER easy to double the recipe if you need to!
For the chicken
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup harissa spice blend
- 2 tbs sugar free honey, optional
- 6 chicken drumsticks (approx 1.5 lb)
- salt and black pepper
- fresh mint and lemon slices, to garnish
For the dip
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh mint
- salt and black pepper
- Make the marinade by combining olive oil, harissa spice blend, and honey (if using) together in a large zip top bag.
- Add the chicken drumsticks, close the bag, and massage the marinade around the chicken.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn over. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 165F.
- Meanwhile, make the dip by combining the plain Greek yogurt, mint, and salt and pepper.
- Let the drumsticks cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon and fresh mint.
0.4g net carbs per serving of three drumsticks without the dip.
2.6g net carbs per serving including half of the dip.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 3 drumsticks plus dip
Amount Per Serving Calories 782Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 435mgSodium 646mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 2.6gFiber 0.4gSugar 1.8gProtein 88g