This low carb beef stroganoff features steak, mushrooms, sour cream, and paprika for a wonderful filling meal. Keto, LCHF and gluten free recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Do you know the origins of beef stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream. From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, it has become popular around the world, with considerable variation from the original recipe.”
My low carb version is a super-filling recipe with steak, mushrooms, paprika, beef broth, and sour cream! Although traditionally made with cheaper cuts of beef, I have used steak and then added it later into the cooking time than normal. You could also choose to cook the steak whole, then slice it just before adding it to the sauce. It depends on how you like your beef!
Oh and don't skip the parsley and sprinkling of paprika garnish – it really gives the dish a touch of flavor and color!
How to Make Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
Pour some olive oil into a cast iron skillet and add some cubed sirloin steak. Cook until browned all over.
Transfer the steak to a plate. In the same pan, add a little more oil and add some sliced white mushrooms. Continue to cook until they have softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
Add beef broth (I love the gorgeous bone broth from Kettle and Fire), together with some heavy cream, onion powder, and paprika, and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the steak to the skillet, stir well, and cook for another 5 minutes.
To finish the sauce, stir in some sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and a sprinkle of extra paprika.
Get 10% off when you order from Miracle Noodles direct! Use coupon code “AFF10” on checkout to get your discount!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 sirloin steaks, roughly cubed
- 4 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt and black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley and paprika, to garnish
- Pour the olive oil into a cast iron skillet and add the steak. Cook until browned all over.
- Transfer the steak to a plate. In the same pan, add a little more oil and add the mushrooms. Continue to cook until they have softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, heavy cream, onion powder, and paprika, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the steak to the skillet, stir well, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To finish the sauce, stir in the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the parsley and a sprinkle of paprika.
3g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 559Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 162mgSodium 814mgCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 28g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.