This low carb layered dip is perfect for parties! So grab some low carb chips and start delving into those seven yummy layers!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
There are many kinds of layered dip around – and with good reason – they are perfect for parties! Most are seven layers (for some reason), and most have a Mexican flare to them. Well, this recipe is both – BUT it doesn't contain a layer of beans, like most recipes that I've seen.
And you really won't miss it! So here are my layers from bottom to top:
- Low carb salsa (I recommend the Green Mountain Gringo salsa which you can buy online from Netrition.)
- Mashed avocado
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese (I use a fine cut Mexican blend)
- Sliced black olives
- Fresh jalapeño slices
You could also add a layer of sliced green onions or cilantro if you like! Although constructing the dip is fairly easy, I do have a few tips for you.
How to Make a Low Carb Layered Dip
Start making the dip by draining the excess liquid from the salsa. This will make the whole thing less wet!
While the salsa is draining, make the avocado layer by mashing them together with a little lime juice, salt and pepper.
Add the salsa to a large bowl (preferably a glass bowl for presentation – but not essential), then spread the avocado over the salsa. It doesn't have to be perfect!
Next, add a layer of sour cream and then shredded lettuce. You want to try and completely cover the avocado at this point, to help prevent it turning brown. Then cover with the shredded cheese.
And to finish, add some black olives (I use one of those handy 40g snack pots), and a sliced jalapeño.
And it's done! If you're lazy (like me) and buy cheese, lettuce, and olives that are already sliced, it really doesn't take that long to prepare.
The dip is shown here with my favorite low carb Dixie USA Corn Chips (which you can buy from Netrition) – obviously you'll need a few more than in the photo! But you could also serve cucumber sticks, jicama sticks, celery, or make your own homemade tortilla chips!
You can prepare it a few hours in advance – if the avocado is “sealed” like I mentioned above, then it will be fine. But the longer you leave this low carb layered dip the mushier it will become – it will still taste fine but the lettuce won't be so crisp.
- 2 cups low carb salsa
- 3 avocados
- 1 tbs lime juice
- salt and black pepper
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz lettuce, shredded
- 1½ cups shredded cheese, eg Mexican blend
- 1½ oz sliced black olives
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- Drain the excess liquid from the salsa.
- While the salsa is draining, make the avocado layer by mashing the avocados together with a little lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the salsa to a large bowl (preferably a glass bowl for presentation - but not essential), then spread the avocado over the salsa.
- Next, add a layer of sour cream and then shredded lettuce. You want to try and completely cover the avocado at this point, to help prevent it turning brown. Then cover with the shredded cheese.
- And to finish, add some black olives and a sliced jalapeño.
6g net carbs per serving (based on 8 servings - but this dip could easily serve more people, depending on how much other food is provided!)
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size Eighth of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 31mgSodium 554mgCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 7g