This low carb ratatouille is a delicious blend of vegetables like eggplant, tomato and zucchini. A delicious dairy free and keto friendly recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ratatouille is a vegetable stew originating from Provence in France that typically includes tomatoes, onion, zucchini, eggplant, garlic and herbs like marjoram and basil. It's not too much of a leap to turn this into a low carb recipe, but you'll want to serve this keto ratatouille as a side dish alongside a protein like grilled chicken or pork chops rather than as an entree.
How to Make a Low Carb Ratatouille
Soften the red onion in some olive oil and add some minced garlic or garlic paste in a large pan. After cooking for five minutes, add chopped zucchini and eggplant. Next add some Italian seasoning (the brand I used contained basil and marjoram so although this is a French dish – my Italian seasoning blend was close enough!), canned tomato sauce (not ketchup!) and water.
Stir well then cover, and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes. The vegetables should be soft but not mushy. Check for seasoning, adding salt and black pepper if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh oregano leaves.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- salt and black pepper
- fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
- Soften the red onion in the olive oil and add the garlic. After cooking for five minutes, add the zucchini, eggplant, Italian seasoning, canned tomato sauce and water.
- Stir well then cover, and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Check for seasoning, adding salt and black pepper if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh oregano leaves.
6g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 66Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gSodium 304mgCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 2g