This low carb Shamrock Shake is a wonderful way to celebrate St Patrick's Day! LCHF recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Over the years I've seen many low carb versions of the McDonald's classic drink, Shamrock Shake. It's definitely a popular idea! However, the beauty of the internet is that there's generally room for one more, and as I've never seen a recipe that uses the ingredients that I use – here it is!
And yes, I have added this drink to the desserts category too – because it's pretty filling and would work perfectly as a sweet treat!
The base of the drink is somewhat of a cheat – or hack, I suppose. Although you could also think of it is a convenient option! It's Mint Chip ice cream from Halo Top. It has a wonderful balance of flavors and eliminates the need for adding peppermint extract – however I should note that it isn't sugar free.
If you can't find this ice cream, then you could use any low carb vanilla ice cream (I recommend Breyer's Carb Smart (which IS sugar free) or Halo Top), and add the necessary mintiness.
How To Make a Low Carb Shamrock Shake
Add the ice cream to a blender (my Ninja is perfect for this recipe!), together with some ice cubes, unsweetened almond milk and heavy cream.
Whizz it up until smooth. Taste for sweetness – and add a few drops of liquid stevia or similar liquid sweetener as necessary. The Halo Top ice cream isn't particularly green (which is usually a good thing!), but if you prefer you can also add a few drops of green food dye.
Blend again, then pour into a glass. To make it extra special, add some whipped cream and a few low carb chocolate chips – I use Lily's dark chocolate chips – get them from Netrition!
This seriously takes just a few minutes to make – you're going to love it!
Low Carb Shamrock Shake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- ½ cup Halo Top Mint Chip Ice Cream
- ½ cup ice cubes
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- liquid sweetener to taste
- few drops green food dye optional
- 2 tbs whipped cream
- 1 tsp Lily's Sweets dark chocolate baking chips
- Add the ice cream, ice cubes, unsweetened almond milk and heavy cream to a blender. Whiz it up until smooth.
- Taste for sweetness - and add a few drops of liquid stevia or similar liquid sweetener as necessary.
- Add a few drops of green food dye, if using.
- Blend again, then pour into a glass.
- To make it extra special, add some whipped cream and a few low carb chocolate chips.