This raw turnip coleslaw makes a tasty change to regular ‘slaw! Low carb and keto friendly recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This will be the third coleslaw recipe on this site – adding to Horseradish Coleslaw and KFC Copycat Coleslaw. Both use the standard cabbage and carrot mix, so here's something a little different: raw turnips!
Now I've made quite a few low carb and keto turnip recipes recently, but they've all used COOKED turnips. So, welcome to the world of eating them raw!
How to Make Turnip Coleslaw
Prepare the dressing by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, celery salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
Stir well to combine then set aside.
To prepare the turnips, first peel them. I used three turnips, which had a weight of 1lb 6oz unpeeled, which was just over 1lb when peeled and trimmed.
You can shred them but I preferred to make thin matchsticks by using my mandoline. I tried a julienne peeler and it was a LOT of work! The mandoline has a julienne blade attachment which worked perfectly.
After you have run them through the mandoline, roughly cut them in half to make shorter, more easy-to-eat sticks before adding them to the dressing.
When all the turnips had been cut, turn to coat in the dressing. Taste for seasoning and add more black pepper if necessary. Finally, add some chopped fresh chives.
Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and store in the fridge until required.
The raw turnip has a mild but slightly peppery flavor that blends perfectly with the creamy dressing!
Low Carb Turnip Coleslaw
This raw turnip coleslaw makes a tasty change to regular 'slaw! Low carb and keto friendly recipe.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp celery salt
- black pepper
- 1 lb turnips, peeled and trimmed
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- Prepare the dressing by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, celery salt and black pepper together in a large bowl. Stir well to combine then set aside.
- Use a thin julienne blade attachment on a mandoline to cut the turnips into matchsticks. Roughly cut them in half before adding them to the dressing.
- When all the turnips had been cut, turn to coat in the dressing. Taste for seasoning and add more black pepper if necessary. Finally, add some chopped fresh chives and transfer to a serving platter or bowl.
- Store in the fridge (covered) until required.
4g net carbs per serving (about 1 cup)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Approx 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 244Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 20mgSodium 385mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 2g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Adapted from this recipe.