This low carb zabaglione is my version of the classic Italian dessert. Sugar free, keto, gluten free and dairy free recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This classic Italian dessert is traditionally made with egg yolks, sugar and Marsala, and is also known as zabaione, zabajone – or in France – sabayon. It can take a little while to make but when served warm it is absolutely gorgeous!
How to Make Low Carb Zabaglione
Add egg yolks, low carb sweetener (eg Lakanto or granular Swerve) and Marsala wine to a bowl. Make sure that you do not use Marsala cooking wine as this a different product that contains a lot of sugar! To separate the eggs I use a little plastic egg separator that clips over the side of a small bowl. It really works!
Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to make a bain marie (like a double boiler). Use a balloon whisk to combine the mixture then keep whisking over the low heat.
The mixture will get frothier and expand in size. Keep whisking for several minutes! Note: You could use an electric hand mixer but only if it has a super low speed setting! You are aiming for somewhere between a foam and a custard. It will be soft with a luxurious feel to it. Utterly decadent!
Serve in small bowls or glasses (I used shot glasses!) with a little dusting of cocoa powder.
This recipe is a #lowcarb version of the classic Italian dessert, Zabaglione! Click To Tweet
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs Lakanto, or similar sweetener
- 1 tbs Marsala wine, NOT Marsala cooking wine
- cocoa powder, for dusting, optional
- Add the egg yolk, sweeteners and Marsala to a bowl and whisk to mix.
- Place over a saucepan of simmering water and keep whisking over low heat until mixture starts to get foamy.
- Keep whisking until the foam thickens and forms a kind of foamy custard.
- Spoon into small bowls or glasses and dust with cocoa powder, if desired.
2g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 69Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 195mgSodium 9mgCarbohydrates 2gNet Carbohydrates 2gFiber 0gProtein 2g