This low carb zabaglione is a version of the classic Italian dessert.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This classic Italian dessert is traditionally made with egg yolks, sugar and Marsala, and is also known as zabaione, zabajone or in France – sabayon. It can take a little while to make but when served warm it is absolutely gorgeous!
Add egg yolks, xylitol and Marsala wine to a bowl. Make sure that you do not use Marsala cooking wine as this a different product that contains a lot of sugar! To separate the eggs I use a little plastic egg separator that clips over the side of a small bowl. It really works!
Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to make a bain marie (like a double boiler). Use a balloon whisk to combine the mixture then keep whisking over the low heat.
The mixture will get frothier and expand in size. Keep whisking for several minutes! Note: You could use an electric hand mixer but only if it has a super low speed setting! You are aiming for somewhere between a foam and a custard. It will be soft with a luxurious feel to it. Utterly decadent!
Serve in small bowls or glasses (I used shot glasses!) with a little dusting of cocoa powder.
This recipe is a #lowcarb version of the classic Italian dessert, Zabaglione! Click To Tweet
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs low carb sweetener eg xylitol
- 1 tbs Marsala wine NOT Marsala cooking wine
- cocoa powder for dusting, optional
- Add the egg yolk, sweeteners and Marsala to a bowl and whisk to mix.
- Place over a saucepan of simmering water and keep whisking over low heat until mixture starts to get foamy.
- Keep whisking until the foam thickens and forms a kind of foamy custard.
- Spoon into small bowls or glasses and dust with cocoa powder, if desired.
2g net carbs per serving (NOT including sugar alcohols)
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!