These marinated chicken skewers are low carb with tasty soy sauce, tomato, and thyme flavors. Perfect for grilling!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KickinItWithKikkoman #CollectiveBias
I’m always looking for new grilling ideas in the summer, and I fancied making some marinated chicken skewers. But what marinade should I use? I was looking in my local Walmart for some inspiration and came across Kikkoman® Soy Sauce in the Asian aisle.
Although I decided to use the soy sauce for my chicken dish, I also bought the Kikkoman® Less Sodium Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce – which is 3g net carbs per tablespoon – but will be a super convenient way of adding flavor to recipes. Oh – and if you’re gluten free, Kikkoman® offers a variety of products for you, too!
I’ve used soy sauce before as a marinade for steak, but I wanted to enhance that original idea. Kikkoman® Soy Sauce is traditionally brewed, and really enhances the flavor of meat as well as bringing out the “umami” taste. It definitely isn’t just for Asian-inspired dishes – it can be used in so many ways!
I combined the soy sauce with tomato sauce (from a can, not ketchup!) by whisking it together in a bowl.
Then I added fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped green onions, and some black pepper. Note: salt is featured in the above picture but in the end I didn’t add any! For the chicken I used diced tenderloins – but you could use whatever you have available. 12 ounces is a good amount for 2-4 people, depending on what you’re serving it with and how hungry everyone is! I added the chicken to the marinade, and made sure every piece was covered.
Then I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Mine was there for about two hours, but anything over an hour should be fine. I also got some wooden skewers soaking in water while the chicken marinated – but you could always use metal ones instead.
When the grill was hot, I threaded the chicken onto the skewers and cooked them on the grill. Halfway through cooking I turned them over and brushed them with the remaining marinade.
When the chicken had reached an internal temperature of 165F, it was time to eat! The chicken had SO much flavor, thanks mostly to the Kikkoman’s® Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce!
Marinated Chicken Skewers - a #lowcarb recipe perfect for grilling! Click To Tweet
- ¼ cup Kikkoman® soy sauce
- 2 tbs tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- black pepper
- 12 oz fresh chicken tenderloins roughly diced
- To make the marinade, whisk together the soy sauce and tomato sauce in a bowl.
- Add the thyme leaves, green onions, and black pepper, and mix well. Add the chicken to the marinade, and stir to make sure every piece is covered.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least one hour.
- When the grill is hot, thread the chicken onto the pre-soaked wooden skewers and cook them on the grill. Halfway through cooking, turn them over and brush them with the remaining marinade.
- When the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F, serve and enjoy!
1g net carb per serving
Check out KikkomanUSA.com for more fantastic summer grilling inspiration!!