These low carb pork and wild mushroom meatballs are served with a sugar free sweet soy dipping sauce.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
One of my favorite things about meatballs (and there are many) is that much of the hard work can be done in advance. When it comes to needing them, all you do is cook them – no preparation required! These Asian inspired meatballs work really well as an appetizer for four, or an entree for two. If serving as an entree you'll need something like some shirataki rice or perhaps my Spicy Bok Choy or Crispy Seaweed to go with them.
If you need to, you can make the sauce and meatballs in advance, then cook the meatballs as per directions below, and combine with the sauce.
In a small saucepan, heat together some soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, and a low carb sweetener like granular Swerve or xylitol. Bring to the boil and continue boiling for 2 minutes. Stir in your thickener of choice – you'll need something like ½ tsp of LC Foods Thick ‘n' Saucy, or a large pinch of xanthan gum. Whisk the thickener into the soy mixture, then set aside.
Prepare the meatballs by blitzing some wild mushrooms in a food processor. I use a combination of shiitake, oyster and crimini.
Add some ground pork, soy sauce, chopped green onions, an egg, salt and pepper. Blend in the processor until fully combined.
Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls (this recipe makes about 24) and place them on a plate.
When ready to cook, bring a large pan of water to the boil. I used my new Anolon 14″ French Skillet which was perfect! Reduce the heat to get a low simmer, then drop in the meatballs. Cook for 10-15 minutes at a gentle pace or until cooked through.
Drain the cooked meatballs, then toss them with the sweet soy sauce. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped green onions.
Low Carb Pork and Wild Mushroom Meatballs with Soy Dipping Sauce #lowcarb #sugarfree Click To Tweet
Low Carb Pork and Wild Mushroom Meatballs
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
For the sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbs low carb sweetener eg xylitol or Swerve
- ¼-½ tsp low carb sauce thickener
For the meatballs
- 3 oz wild mushrooms eg shiitake, oyster and crimini
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs soy sauce or tamari
- 4 green onions chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 green onions for garnish
- To make the sauce, add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water and sweetener to a small saucepan, and bring to the boil. Continue boiling for 2 minutes, Whisk in the low carb thickener, then set aside.
- Prepare the meatballs by blitzing the mushrooms in a food processor.
- Add the ground pork, soy sauce, chopped green onions, egg, salt and pepper. Blend in the processor until fully combined.
- Shape the mixture into 24 x 1-inch balls and place them on a plate. When ready to cook, bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to get a low simmer, then drop in the meatballs. Cook for 10-15 minutes at a gentle pace or until cooked through.
- Drain the meatballs, then toss them with the sauce. Transfer to a serving plate, then garnish with toasted sesame seeds and extra chopped green onions