These sausage, shrimp and zucchini skewers are a fantastic low carb dish for a summer party! And the barbecue sauce works perfectly with the skewers!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Klement’s. All opinions are my own. Please see my disclosure policy. This post also contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
If you're getting ready for Fourth of July or any other summer gathering, then you'll want to make sure that there are some tasty and low carb goodies for you to enjoy. And although they take a little while to prepare (like all skewers!) they cook REALLY quickly: the sausage is already cooked, the zucchini is sliced, and the shrimp only need a few minutes on each side!
As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of the European style sausages from Klement's. I've tried many of their products (you can find all my reviews and recipes here) and their quality is outstanding. And great for low carbers, of course, because less fillers equals a lower carb count.
How to Make Sausage, Shrimp and Zucchini Skewers
For this recipe I decided to use a Smoked Sausage Loop, which is made from both pork and beef.
I cut it into slices and of course couldn't resist having a taste test! The smoky flavor was perfect for the skewers!
I also sliced some zucchini – you can get about 40 slices from the smoked sausage, so I cut 20 from two zucchini. So you'll also need 40 shrimp! I used raw, tail-on shrimp.
Usually for skewers on the grill I pre-soak the wooden skewers, but in all honesty these skewers aren't on the grill for very long – so you could skip this step if you want. Thread one slice of zucchini, one slice of sausage (one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, and one slice of watermelon… OK ignore this if you don't know the Very Hungry Caterpillar book LOL) and one shrimp onto each skewer. Any order will do but I think it makes for a pretty presentation if you keep them all the same and curl the shrimp around the curve of either the zucchini or sausage.
Cook them on the grill (or if cooking inside you could use a grill pan) for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. I used my Smoky Barbecue Sauce – it's sugar free, low carb and works perfectly with these skewers. Please click HERE for the recipe. Drizzle some of the sauce over the skewers and leave the rest as a dip. Your guests will love these sausage, shrimp and zucchini skewers!!
By the way, if you're looking for the perfect low carb dessert for the Fourth of July, try these red, white and blue cheesecake berry cups!
- 14 oz Klement's Smoked Sausage Loop, cut into 40 slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into 40 slices
- 40 shrimp, raw, tail-on
- 1 batch Smoky Barbecue Sauce
- If you like pre-soak 40 wooden skewers in cold water for at least an hour.
- I also sliced some zucchini - you can get about 40 slices from the smoked sausage, so I cut 20 from two zucchini. So you'll also need 40 shrimp! I used raw, tail-on shrimp.
- Thread one slice of zucchini, one slice of sausage, and one shrimp onto each skewer. Any order will do but it makes for a nice presentation if you keep them all the same and curl the shrimp around the curve of either the zucchini or sausage.
- Cook them on the grill (or if cooking inside you could use a grill pan) for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce according to the separate recipe instructions.
- Once the skewers are cooked, lay them out on a platter and drizzle them with some of the sauce. Pour the remainder in a small bowl for dipping.
2g per serving of 5 skewers (not including sauce)
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 5 Skewers
Amount Per Serving Calories 178Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 106mgSodium 735mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 12g
Sausage, Shrimp and Zucchini Skewers #lowcarb #lowcarbgrilling Click To Tweet
Check out my Low Carb Party Food Ebook!
Are you planning a party? Check out my mini ebook for low carb recipe inspiration!