These salt and pepper shrimp have been spiced up in this delicious low carb appetizer recipe. Gluten free, dairy free, and keto friendly.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Asian-inspired dish is packed full of flavor! It is a lovely appetizer for two people to share – or a large low carb lunch for one! 🙂
How to Make Spicy Salt and Pepper Shrimp
Prepare the marinade by mixing together soy sauce (or tamari), rice vinegar and a little cayenne. Add the shrimp – I left the shell on as I happen to LIKE eating the shell and tail. You could remove the shell completely, or just leave the tail on if you prefer. Leave in the marinade for at least 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, dry fry some Chinese five spice powder over a low heat for a few minutes.
Add enough oil to cover the base of the pan, and increase to medium heat. When the oil is warmed through, add the shrimp (you can discard the marinade). Cook for a few minutes on each side, turning once and seasoning both sides with salt and pepper. Can't you just hear them sizzling? 🙂
Transfer the shrimp to a serving platter, and add some bonus salt and pepper. Garnish with sliced green onions and sliced fresh chilies or red pepper flakes.
Spicy Salt and Pepper Shrimp - #lowcarb appetizer recipe Click To Tweet
- 2 tbs soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- cayenne, to taste
- 10-15 medium raw shrimp, shell on
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- sliced fresh chilies or red pepper flakes, optional
- Make a marinade with the soy sauce, rice vinegar and cayenne. Add the shrimp and marinate for at least 30 mins.
- Dry fry the Chinese five spice in a large skillet over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add enough oil to cover the base of the pan, and turn up the heat to medium.
- When the oil is warm, use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to the pan. Discard the marinade. Cook for a few minutes on each side, turning once and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cooked shrimp to a serving platter and garnish with extra salt and pepper, plus the green onions and chilies, if using.
2.5g net carbs per serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 199Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 57mgSodium 1861mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 2.5gFiber 0.5gSugar 0gProtein 8g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.