This low carb tandoori chicken is full of amazing Indian flavors! Keto friendly and gluten free recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
On the rare occasion I'm in an Indian restaurant, tandoori chicken is one of my favorite low carb entrees to order. The combination of chicken, spices and yogurt make it naturally low carb – plus it doesn't seem to need rice (or rice substitute!) in the same way that a curry does. I thought it was about time that I tried to recreate it at home!
Check out all my low carb Indian recipes!!
How to Make Low Carb Tandoori Chicken
To make the marinade, combine ginger paste, garlic paste, ground coriander, ground cumin, cayenne, paprika and garam masala. You'll notice I used paste versions of garlic and ginger – of course you can absolutely use fresh but for marinade I think the pastes just work so much better. And of course they are super convenient!
Add in some plain Greek yogurt and stir to combine. Tandoori chicken is traditionally bright red, so an optional idea here is to add red food dye. It's purely for looks – I usually add some but not TOO much! You might also like to add a splash or two of water just too loosen up the marinade a little.
For this recipe I use chicken breasts on the bone (with rib meat, it's sometimes called). Chicken legs would be a great alternative. Remove the skin and add the chicken to the marinade. Make sure the chicken is completely coated. Cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.
Preheat the oven and place the chicken on a non-stick rack over a baking tray.
Roast for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through – a probe thermometer is a useful tool for this recipe! Serve, garnished with fresh cilantro, cucumber slices and lime wedges. Or you could serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce or with Cardamom Cauliflower Rice!
I also recommend serving this dish with some delicious low carb raita on the side!Tandoori Chicken Recipe #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 2 skinless chicken breasts on the bone
- 1 tbs ginger paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- a few drops of red food dye, optional
- fresh cilantro, cucumber, and lime wedges, to garnish
- In a large bowl mix together all the spices. Add the Greek yogurt and red food dye, if using. Add a splash of water to loosen the mixture a little.
- Add the chicken and spread the marinade all over. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the chicken on a baking rack over a baking tray.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through. Use a probe thermometer to ensure the correct temperature has been reached.
- Serve, garnished with the cucumber, cilantro, and lime (if using).
4g net carbs per serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 74mgSodium 154mgCarbohydrates 5gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 29g