These baked avocados are filled with egg and are perfect for a low carb breakfast or lunch!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
As you may be aware I’ve only recently started eating avocados, and the idea of eating them warm seemed very strange. But after making the delicious avocado fries a few weeks ago – I’ve been converted! These baked avocados are soft and creamy. Serve them on their own or with freshly cooked bacon or sausage.
Cut the avocado in half lengthways and remove the stone. To fit each egg into the cavity you’ll need to scoop out a little more of the avocado flesh. Make sure each avocado half is level by slicing a little skin off the base to ensure that it doesn’t rock or tilt.
Crack an egg into each avocado – which is actually harder than it sounds because it tends to overflow. So here’s how I did it: crack each egg into a cup, and use a spoon to place the egg yolk into the avocado. Then spoon enough egg white in to fill the cavity.
This may end up with some wastage of egg white (and also that extra scooped out avocado if you haven’t already snacked on it!). I’ve seen recipes for beating the egg before adding it to the avocado – and you only need one egg per whole avocado. So try this if you prefer!
Place the filled avocados into a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. I also sprinkle over some red pepper flakes as I love the flavor combination!
Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. To serve, sprinkle some chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves.
Baked Avocados with EggsPrint
- 2 ripe avocados cut in half lengthways and stone removed
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Scoop out some of the avocado flesh to make space for the egg. Make sure each avocado half is level by slicing a little skin off the base.
- Crack an egg into each avocado and placed each filled avocado into a baking dish. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes - if using.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. To serve, sprinkle some chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves.
4g net carbs per serving