These crispy chicken thighs are baked in the oven and finished with a low carb and sugar free BBQ sauce. Juicy and delicious!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
What's better than baked chicken thighs? Baked chicken thighs with a super crispy skin!! I recently read that rubbing a combination of salt and baking powder over the chicken skin before roasting is the key to crispy chicken – so of course I just had to try it.
Oh – and I *do* mean baking powder, not to be confused with baking soda or sodium bicarbonate. So what does the baking powder do?
I found this explanation from Lifehacker:
The baking powder raises the skin's pH levels so the proteins break down more efficiently. The baking powder also mixes with the chicken's juices, creating carbon dioxide bubbles that increase the skin's surface area, giving it a crunchier texture when the chicken starts to cook”
How to Make Baked Crispy Chicken Thighs
Trim any excess skin or fat from bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Pat them dry with paper towels.
Place the chicken on a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking pan. You may like to oil or grease the rack if it isn't non-stick.
In a small bowl, mix together baking powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly over the chicken skin.
Bake in a preheated oven (convection ovens get the best results) for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. It smells absolutely amazing!
Let rest for 5 minutes before brushing with BBQ sauce. You could either make your own in advance – my low carb smoky barbecue sauce is really tasty and very easy to make – or use a store bought sauce. My current favorite is the spicy version of Guy’s Award Winning BBQ Sauce (although they do have other flavors like Original, Smokey Bacon and Smokey Garlic) – which you can buy from Netrition or Amazon! Always remember to check the label if buying a barbecue sauce – some brands add a TON of sugar!
The chicken is juicy, the meat is just falling off the bone, and that fabulous crispy skin is perfect! Wonderful keto baked chicken!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup Guy’s Award Winning BBQ Sauce, or other low carb barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425F (a convection oven is the best method for this recipe).
- Trim any excess skin or fat from bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking pan. You may like to oil or grease the rack if it isn't non-stick.
- In a small bowl, mix together baking powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly over the chicken skin.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Let rest for 5 minutes before brushing each piece of chicken with BBQ sauce.
3g net carbs per serving (two chicken thighs with skin)
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 648Total Fat 48gSaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 283mgSodium 706mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 47g