These baked sausage and pumpkin bites are perfect for a low carb appetizer this holiday season!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Klement’s. All opinions are my own. Please see my disclosure policy. This post also contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I recently had the opportunity to try some of the many sausage products from Klement’s. These authentic European handcrafted sausages really appealed to me – as I am originally from Europe! Their premium meat range includes summer sausages, snack sticks, fresh sausages, cocktail smokies, ring bologna and more!
For this seasonal appetizer I wanted to use the sausage to recreate the sausage stuffing of a turkey, but in appetizer form! The artisan summer sausage from Klement’s was perfect for this – and comes in four flavors: Original, Cheddar, Beef (not shown) and Garlic.
Because it isn’t stacked full of fillers one of these entire summer sausages is just 6g net carbs! Perfect for low carbers, especially when combined with the other ingredients: pumpkin, cream cheese, and pecans!
To make this appetizer, slice the summer sausage (I used the original flavor, but I bet the garlic sausage would be great too!) into 16 slices.
Place the slices on a metal rack that has been placed on top of a baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the edges start to darken.
Meanwhile, add pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling), cream cheese, fresh or dried thyme and salt and pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth and set aside (this can be made in advance if necessary).
In a small sauté pan, melt some butter. Add chopped pecans and xylitol or granular Swerve, and cook the nuts until caramelized, stirring frequently.
Spoon the pecans onto wax paper, baking parchment or a silicone mat to harden.
When the sausage slices have cooked, let them cool slightly and then soak up any excess grease with kitchen paper. Place the slices on a serving platter, and add a spoonful of the pumpkin mixture to each one.
Finish each one with a few pieces of caramelized pecan and some fresh thyme leaves.
This delicious appetizer is best served slightly warm. Your guests will love the authentic meaty sausage, the soft pumpkin cream, and the crunchy butter pecan topping.Baked Sausage and Pumpkin Bites - a #lowcarb appetizer for the holiday season! Click To Tweet
- 1 Klement's Beef Summer Sausage 12 oz
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp xylitol or granulated Swerve
- thyme leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Slice the summer sausage into 16 slices, and place on a metal rack over a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges start to darken.
- Meanwhile, add the pumpkin, cream cheese, thyme and seasoning to a food processor, blend until smooth, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saute pan and add the pecans and sweetener. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the nuts have caramelized. Place on wax paper to harden.
- Blot any excess grease from the sausage with kitchen paper, and place the slices on a serving platter. Place spoonfuls of the pumpkin mixture onto each slice, and finish with a few pecans and thyme leaves.
- Serve warm.
4g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Party Food Ebook!
Are you planning a party? Check out my mini ebook for low carb recipe inspiration!