These baked tomatoes are cooked with a gorgeous creamy tarragon sauce! A delicious low carb and keto friendly side dish recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I don't often use fresh tomatoes other than in salads or for making salsa. But this baked dish is very good, and the aniseedy fresh tarragon pairs fantastically with the tomatoes.
The tarragon sauce is based on my popular white sauce recipe – so check out the video to see how to make it.I'm not sure if there's a correct name for this sauce; if you add tarragon to a Hollandaise sauce it's called a Béarnaise. But if you add it to a white sauce? No idea! All I know is that it works REALLY well with the tomatoes. Let me know if you agree!
How to Make Baked Tomatoes with Tarragon Cream Sauce
Slice the tomatoes and remove the seeds with a spoon. This takes a little while but is an essential step otherwise the final dish will be too watery. Place them into a small baking dish in layers.
Make the tarragon sauce by following the low carb white sauce instructions, and adding chopped fresh tarragon at the end.
Pour the sauce over the tomatoes, and add an extra grind of black pepper.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the topping starts to turn golden brown.
It's best to use a slotted spatula or similar for serving as the tomatoes will still have released some water, even with the seeds removed!Baked Tomatoes with Tarragon - a #lowcarb side dish recipe Click To Tweet
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes (approx 4), sliced and seeds removed
- ½ cup (4 oz) cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbs chopped fresh tarragon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the tomatoes into a small baking dish in layers.
- To make the tarragon sauce, add the cream cheese, cream, and water to a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the cream cheese has melted.
- Temper the egg yolk by adding a little of the cream sauce to it, mixing well, then adding the yolk back into the cream mixture.
- Stir constantly over a low heat for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the tarragon.
- Pour the sauce over the tomatoes, and add an extra grind of black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the topping starts to turn golden brown. Serve using a slotted turner or spatula.
5.5g net carbs per serving (quarter of the recipe). Nutritional data is best estimate as the seeds of the tomatoes are not consumed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 109mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 7gNet Carbohydrates 5.5gFiber 1.5gSugar 5gProtein 4g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.