This keto brown sauce is my version of the classic Chinese recipe. Low carb and sugar free.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Despite its rather unimaginative name – this sauce is essential to Chinese cooking. Here's a great description:
Martin Yan, host of the cooking show Yan Can Cook, says that brown sauce “is the Chinese mother sauce.” Yan went on to explain the composition of this Chinese brown sauce: “There's broth, soy sauce, sugar, a touch of wine, and some sort of thickener.” Source
Of course there are many different recipes, some that also include oyster sauce, fish sauce, garlic (also known as Chinese Garlic Sauce), ginger, or red pepper flakes.
Carbs in Brown Sauce
Due to the nature of the recipe, nutritional values vary. But because of the sugar and thickener, two tablespoons can contain around 10g net carbs. Luckily my version is sugar free (of course!) and only contains 1g net carb per serving!
How to Make a Keto Brown Sauce
Add some beef broth, soy sauce (or tamari), brown sweetener, fish sauce, and sesame oil to a small saucepan. For the sweetener I use Lakanto – it's SO good! Get 20% off everything in the Lakanto store when you use coupon code SAFTC !
Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and slowly whisk in some xanthan gum. If you're not familiar with xanthan gum, it's a zero carb thickener with no flavor. But a little goes a long way so don't be tempted to add more than stated in the recipe.
Continue to cook for another few minutes then remove from the heat and let cool.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Ways to Use Keto Chinese Brown Sauce
- In a stir fry with chicken, shrimp, or vegetables
- Serve with my Asian Chicken Meatballs
- As a dip for shrimp
- Use it as a tasty sauce for the classic Chinese dish: beef and broccoli
- Serve over low carb noodles
- As a dressing for my keto Spring Roll in a Bowl!
- Add the beef broth, soy sauce, sweetener, fish sauce, and sesame oil to a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and slowly whisk in the xanthan gum.
- Continue to cook for another few minutes then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
1g net carb per serving of two tablespoons
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 tbs
Amount Per Serving Calories 23Total Fat 1.3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 944mgCarbohydrates 1.1gNet Carbohydrates 1gFiber 0.1gSugar 0.2gProtein 2g