Here's a delicious keto jalapeño popper – in sandwich form! A spicy and creamy recipe that's made with low carb bread, cheese, and bacon!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I was inspired to make it into a sandwich by this recipe – but I wanted to simplify it. The original involved baking stuffed jalapeños before slicing them and adding them to a sandwich with various other ingredients. I figured that if you mix in chopped jalapeños with some cream cheese and shredded mozzarella, it would be quicker and much easier to eat!
I decided to sauté the peppers before mixing them into the cheeses, as it mellows both the flavor and texture, but feel free to skip this stage if you want a spicier sandwich!
You will, of course, need some low carb bread – so if you don't have a favorite product, check out my guide!
How to Make a Keto Jalapeño Popper Sandwich
Crisp up some bacon if you don't have some already cooked, and set aside. Remove the seeds and membranes from a jalapeño, and chop it finely.
If desired, sauté the chopped jalapeño for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring regularly.
Mix the peppers into some softened cream cheese and shredded mozzarella.
Place a slice of cheese (cheddar is good!), onto the low carb bread (shown here is zero net carb bread from Lewis Bake Shop), and top it with half of the bacon. Spread half of the jalapeño mixture over the bacon.
Next, place another slice of bread over the top and repeat to make a second sandwich. Spread the outsides of both sandwiches with a layer of mayonnaise. This is a trick that I learned while perfecting a low carb grilled cheese – it really makes such a fantastic difference!
Fry the sandwiches until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Cut them in half, and serve immediately!
If – like me – you're a huge fan of the flavors of jalapeño poppers, check out these recipes:
- 1 jalapeño, membranes and seeds removed, then finely chopped
- 2 tbs softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 slices cheese (eg cheddar, monteray jack)
- 4 slices low carb and keto-friendly bread
- 4 slices cooked bacon, cut in half
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- If desired (see Notes), sauté the jalapeño for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Mix the peppers into the softened cream cheese and shredded mozzarella.
- Place a slice of cheese, onto a slice of bread, and top it with half of the bacon. Spread half of the jalapeño mixture over the bacon.
- Next, place another slice of bread over the top and repeat to make a second sandwich. Spread the outsides of both sandwiches with a layer of mayonnaise.
- Fry the sandwiches until golden brown.
- Cut them in half, and serve immediately!
If you sauté the peppers before mixing them into the cheeses, it will mellow both the flavor and texture, but feel free to skip this step if you want a spicier sandwich!
2.2g net carbs per serving (1 sandwich). Nutritional data does NOT include the low carb bread, as there are too many variables. But try and find 0g net carb bread if you can!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 77mgSodium 773mgCarbohydrates 3.4gNet Carbohydrates 2.2gFiber 0.2gSugar 1.2gProtein 18g