These crunchy low carb coconut shrimp are SUPER tasty! A gluten free and keto appetizer recipe with video tutorial.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Coconut shrimp is a classic dish that is served an an appetizer, as a bar snack, on a party buffet table – and more! It seems unclear whether they are Asian or American in origin – but either way – they are delicious crunchy bites that everyone will love.
Typical coatings for the shrimp are breadcrumbs, panko, and / or coconut flakes. I decided to make my own low carb “panko” for this recipe, by toasting a slice of low carb bread (I got mine from the Great Low Carb Baking Co), then running it through a food chopper (I used an attachment on my stick blender) to turn it into coarse breadcrumbs. Then I combined it with some coconut flakes to complete the coating. It worked SO well!
So here's a video showing you how to make this recipe – or you can scroll down for the full recipe and printable recipe card!
How to Make Low Carb Coconut Shrimp
Prepare the first coating by combining coconut flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl. Prepare the egg mixture by whisking one egg with a splash of water in a second bowl. And in a third bowl, combine the low carb “panko” as mentioned above and unsweetened coconut flakes. Prepare the shrimp by deveining and removing the shell, but leaving the tail on.
Dip each shrimp into the flour mixture, then the egg. Shake off any excess, then press the shrimp into the breadcrumb mixture on both sides.
Continue until all the shrimp have been coated.
Heat some oil in a large skillet (you could use coconut oil for extra coconut factor!), then cook the shrimp. They'll need about two minutes on each side, but you might like to also stand them on their ends for an extra minute to ensure that the center is cooked through.
Serve with a dip of your choice – mine was a simple low carb ketchup (like Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup or G Hughes ketchup) that worked perfectly – but my Low Carb Thai Dipping Sauce would be equally as good!
Crunchy, coconuty, and delicious!
Check out all my keto shrimp recipes!
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
- 1 slice low carb bread, toasted and processed into crumbs
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbs oil
- 16 raw shrimp, deveined, tail on
- low carb ketchup, for serving
- Prepare the first coating by combining coconut flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Prepare the egg mixture by whisking the egg with a splash of water in a second bowl.
- In a third bowl, combine the low carb breadcrumbs and unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Dip each shrimp into the flour mixture, then the egg. Shake off any excess, then press the shrimp into the breadcrumb mixture on both sides.
- When all the shrimp are coated, heat the oil in a large skillet, then cook the shrimp until cooked through.
- Serve with low carb ketchup or dip of your choice.
2g net carbs per serving of 4 shrimp.
Nutritional data does not include ketchup /dip.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4 shrimp
Amount Per ServingCalories 146 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 101mg Sodium 251mg Carbohydrates 6g Net Carbohydrates 2g Fiber 4g Protein 9g
Are you looking for more recipe inspiration? Check out my giant list of low carb appetizers!
Check out my Low Carb Party Food Ebook!
Are you planning a party? Check out my mini ebook for low carb recipe inspiration!