Have you tried daikon fries? They are a fantastic low carb and keto-friendly alternative to potato fries!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Audrilee, one of my readers, emailed me recently to ask if I had any low carb daikon recipes. The only one I have is in this low carb salmon soup – so I thought it was about time that I featured it more prominently!
So why are daikon radishes so good? Well, the average daikon contains 3.3g net carbs, as well as being a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and phosphorus, plus several enzymes that aid in digestion.
Daikon roots, like their bright pink radish cousins, are extremely versatile. They can be eaten raw, stir-fried, grilled, roasted, or boiled! I decided to make them into fries, with a light seasoning of onion and paprika. They work out to just under 4g net carbs per serving – about 30g less than the same amount of potato fries!
You might also like my low carb hash browns – made with daikon!
How to Make Low Carb Daikon Fries
Peel the daikon roots and slice them into fries about 2½ – 3″ long.
In a sealable bag, add some olive oil, paprika, and onion powder. Add the daikon, seal the bag, and massage the seasoned oil into the fries.
Empty the fries out onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or similar, making sure they are in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edges have darkened, then turn them over.
Roast for another 5 minutes, then remove from the oven. Transfer the fries to some paper towels, then serve warm. A garnish of sea salt flakes works well!
These fries would be a delicious side dish to go with pretty much any meat or fish recipe!
- 2 daikon roots, peeled and sliced into fries about 2½ - 3" long
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- sea salt flakes, optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or similar.
- In a sealable bag, add the olive oil, paprika, and onion powder. Add the daikon, seal the bag, and massage the seasoned oil into the fries.
- Empty the fries out onto the baking sheet, making sure they are in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the edges have darkened, then turn them over. Roast for another 5 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Transfer the fries to some paper towels, then serve warm. Garnish with sea salt flakes, if using.
3.7g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the fries
Amount Per Serving Calories 272Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 142mgCarbohydrates 6.7gNet Carbohydrates 3.7gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 1.3g