This baked low carb gnocchi recipe is made with ricotta and spinach! It's also gluten free, vegetarian, and keto friendly!
This post also contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I actually started working on this recipe nearly three years ago. I decided to bake them in case they fell apart if I boiled them (which would be the traditional way of cooking gnocchi), and I really loved the combination of the soft center and the slightly crispy outside. The recipe was good, but I just failed to photograph them so that they looked appealing.
So the recipe has remained in my draft folder since then – but I recently decided to finally make the gnocchi again and let you have the recipe! Oh, and if you're interested, here's what the photo from May 2016 looked like:
We all had to start somewhere, right? It's quite fun to see how much I have improved in terms of lighting and staging!
How to Make Low Carb Gnocchi with Spinach and Ricotta
To start making the gnocchi, cook a box of frozen chopped spinach – mine took 6-8 minutes in the microwave in a covered bowl. Then transfer it to a sieve over the sink, and use a fork or spoon to press as much water out as possible. There will be a lot – and even if you leave it a minute when you think you're done, there will be more!
Combine ricotta, flaxseed meal, grated Parmesan, an egg, garlic paste, dried oregano, and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the drained spinach and stir to mix well.
Form the mixture into balls then flatten them, then place them on a small baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. I made 20 large gnocchi with this recipe.
Roast in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, then turn them all over, and cook for another 10 minutes.
Here are some ways to serve your delicious low carb gnocchi:
- Melted butter
- Shaved, shredded, or grated Parmesan
- Lemon zest
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (by the way, if you live in the US – find out how you can get a quality bottle of EVOO for just $1!)
- Fresh parsley and/or basil
- Low carb marinara sauce – try this No Sugar Added Pasta Sauce from Netrition!
I chose melted butter and extra Parmesan!
- 10 oz box of frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the spinach according to the box instructions. Transfer it to a sieve over the sink, and use a fork or spoon to press as much water out as possible.
- Combine the ricotta, flaxseed meal, grated Parmesan, egg, garlic paste, dried oregano, and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the drained spinach and stir to mix well.
- Form the mixture into balls then flatten them, then place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. This recipe makes 20 large gnocchi.
- Roast the gnocchi for 10 minutes, then turn them all over, and cook for another 10 minutes.
6g net carbs per serving (half the recipe, 10 gnocchi)
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 10 gnocchi
Amount Per ServingCalories 399Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 135mgSodium 1157mgCarbohydrates 15gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 9gSugar 1gProtein 28g
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!