This low carb hoisin sauce is perfect for dipping, stir fries and as a meat glaze! Sugar free, gluten free and keto recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Hoisin sauce – the thick and fragrant sauce that is used in Chinese cooking is a wonderful blend of salty and sweet. However, in a tablespoon of regular hoisin sauce, there may be over 6.5g net carbs! This is due to the soybeans, sugar and other starches such as sweet potato, rice, or wheat that are found in a traditional recipe.
My low carb version uses soy sauce as the base, but I've then added smooth almond butter (you could also use peanut butter but I'm not personally a fan of peanuts!), rice vinegar, sesame oil and garlic paste. To sweeten it, I've used a low carb honey alternative. I love the flavor of the Nature's Hollow sugar free honey! And as you'll see, my version is just 2g net carbs for TWO tablespoons!
What's in this Article?
How to Make Low Carb Hoisin Sauce
Combine all these ingredients in a small saucepan, and cook over a low heat until the nut butter has dissolved and a glossy sauce has formed. It only takes a few minutes – and a silicone whisk is a useful tool for getting everything mixed together. You might like to give it a taste test at this point, as you might prefer more honey or even a dash of hot sauce! Whisk in some water to finish, as the sauce thickens when it cools.
Let the sauce cool, then transfer to a bowl, cover it, and store in the fridge until required. This recipe makes about half a cup of sauce.
What to do with your keto hoisin sauce!
- Use it as a glaze for meats like chicken or pork
- Enjoy it as a dipping sauce for meat or shrimp skewers – or try it with my low carb coconut shrimp!
- Combine it with mayo for a fantastic condiment – perfect with pulled pork!
- Ideal for serving with Peking Duck!!!
- Add it to stir fries
- Drizzle it over an Asian-inspired salad – like these wonderful Tuna Lettuce Cups!
What do you plan to use this sugar free hoisin sauce for? Let me know in the comments!
- Combine all the ingredients except the water in a small saucepan, and cook over a low heat until the nut butter has dissolved and a glossy sauce has formed.
- Whisk in the water to finish (the sauce will thicken when it cools).
- Let the sauce cool, then transfer to a bowl, cover it, and store in the fridge until required
2g net carbs per serving of 2 tablespoons
Recipe makes ½ cup of sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 tablespoons
Amount Per ServingCalories 76Total Fat 5gSodium 815mgCarbohydrates 5gNet Carbohydrates 2gFiber 3gProtein 3g