These gorgeous low carb lemon meringue bites are just perfect for the spring! They're sugar free and keto friendly sweet treats!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
A year ago I made some seriously tasty low carb lemon curd. And as it's now March, I decided what better way to celebrate spring than to make another batch!
However, I suddenly started thinking about lemon meringue pie. It's such a classic dessert and although I'm sure it's perfectly possible to make a low carb version, I suddenly had an idea to make mini meringues and add a little lemon curd to each one. As the only low carber in the house (hence my book, Low Carb Meals for One!), this alternative really appealed to me. I tried it, and it worked.
Hopefully you will love them too!
How to Make Low Carb Lemon Meringue Bites
Spray a 24-hole mini muffin pan with a little non-stick spray (I used a silicone mold and yes, it still needed the spray!), and divide the egg mixture between the cavities.
Next, spoon about half a teaspoon of the low carb lemon curd into each cavity. I have to admit, I wasn't particularly careful about this, and guess what – it didn't affect the taste of the final treats at all!
Don't they look a little like eggs at a quick glance?!?
Bake the meringue bites in a preheated oven for an hour, then turn the oven off but do not open the door. It takes about 3 hours for them to crisp up!
Carefully remove the meringues from the mold – they're rather fragile – and let cool. Or, like me, eat three straight away because I really wanted to get that lemon meringue taste!
These are seriously delightful low carb treats that are perfect for the spring.
They are a fantastic combination of crispy and soft, with that lemon meringue deliciousness that we all love. And they're SUPER low in carbs!
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup confectioner's Swerve or similar powdered sweetener
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup low carb lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 200F (95C).
- Add the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and sweetener to a stand mixer bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spray a 24-hole mini muffin pan with a little non-stick spray, and divide the egg mixture between the cavities.
- Next, spoon about half a teaspoon of the low carb lemon curd into each cavity.
- Bake the meringue bites for an hour, then turn the oven off but do not open the door. It takes about 3 hours for them to crisp up!
- Carefully remove the meringues from the mold - they're rather fragile - and let cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 6 mini meringues
Amount Per Serving Calories 31Total Fat 1.5gCholesterol 29mgSodium 38mgCarbohydrates 1.2gNet Carbohydrates 1.2gFiber 0gProtein 2.8g