These gorgeous low carb lemon meringue bites are just perfect for the spring! They're sugar free and keto friendly sweet treats!
This post may contain affiliate links.
A year ago I made some seriously tasty low carb lemon curd. And as it's now March, I decided what better way to celebrate spring than to make another batch!
However, I suddenly started thinking about lemon meringue pie. It's such a classic dessert and although I'm sure it's perfectly possible to make a low carb version, I suddenly had an idea to make mini meringues and add a little lemon curd to each one. As the only low carber in the house (hence my book, Low Carb Meals for One!), this alternative really appealed to me. I tried it, and it worked.
Hopefully you will love them too!
How to Make Low Carb Lemon Meringue Bites
Spray a 24-hole mini muffin pan with a little non-stick spray (I used a silicone mold and yes, it still needed the spray!), and divide the egg mixture between the cavities.
Next, spoon about half a teaspoon of the low carb lemon curd into each cavity. I have to admit, I wasn't particularly careful about this, and guess what – it didn't affect the taste of the final treats at all!
Don't they look a little like eggs at a quick glance?!?
Bake the meringue bites in a preheated oven for an hour, then turn the oven off but do not open the door. It takes about 3 hours for them to crisp up!
Carefully remove the meringues from the mold – they're rather fragile – and let cool. Or, like me, eat three straight away because I really wanted to get that lemon meringue taste!
These are seriously delightful low carb treats that are perfect for the spring.
They are a fantastic combination of crispy and soft, with that lemon meringue deliciousness that we all love. And they're SUPER low in carbs!
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup confectioner's Swerve or similar powdered sweetener
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup low carb lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 200F (95C).
- Add the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and sweetener to a stand mixer bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spray a 24-hole mini muffin pan with a little non-stick spray, and divide the egg mixture between the cavities.
- Next, spoon about half a teaspoon of the low carb lemon curd into each cavity.
- Bake the meringue bites for an hour, then turn the oven off but do not open the door. It takes about 3 hours for them to crisp up!
- Carefully remove the meringues from the mold - they're rather fragile - and let cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 6 mini meringues
Amount Per Serving Calories 31Total Fat 1.5gCholesterol 29mgSodium 38mgCarbohydrates 1.2gNet Carbohydrates 1.2gFiber 0gProtein 2.8g