This low carb mushroom and bacon sauce pairs well with chicken, pork or game.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This sauce has an amazingly deep savory flavor. The ingredients list is pretty simple, too: onion, bacon, mushroom, stock/broth and cream.
Add some olive oil to a large saute pan and place over a medium heat. Add chopped onion and bacon, and cook until the bacon fat has rendered and the onions are soft. Add the chopped mushrooms and stock or broth – either vegetable or chicken would work well for this recipe. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender. Add the cream and test for seasoning – adding salt and black pepper if necessary. Let the sauce reduce down a little.
You could serve it like this or, if you prefer a thicker sauce, sprinkle over a little pinch of xanthan gum. Stir well to mix, and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
Serve over chicken or pork – or it would also be wonderful over game like pigeon or rabbit. Makes two VERY generous servings!Low Carb Mushroom and Bacon Sauce #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 oz onion finely chopped
- 4 thick slices bacon chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms quartered or sliced
- 8 fl oz vegetable or chicken broth or stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper
- sprinkle xanthan gum optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and bacon and cook until onion has softened and bacon fat has rendered.
- Add the mushrooms and stock, and continue to cook until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the cream and test for seasoning - add salt and black pepper if necessary. Cook for a few more minutes to let the sauce reduce.
- For a thicker sauce, sprinkle over a pinch of xanthan gum, stir well to mix, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6g net carb based on two generous servings