This rhubarb lemonade is a wonderfully refreshing drink for the spring! It’s sugar free, low carb, and keto-friendly!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
It’s official – I’m addicted to rhubarb! Here are the low carb rhubarb recipes that I’ve made recently:
- Low Carb Rhubarb and Gin Sorbet
- Low Carb Rhubarb Jam
- Low Carb Pickled Rhubarb
- and from a previous year, Low Carb Rhubarb Crumble
So I thought it was about time for a refreshing rhubarb drink: a sugar free and low carb rhubarb lemonade!
Before I tell you how to make this drink I do want to mention that the nutritional data is my best estimate. I can’t be exact because the pulp from the rhubarb is removed. If it helps, though, this recipe uses 12 oz of fresh rhubarb, and the total carb count for that rhubarb (including pulp) is 10.9g net carbs. Divide that between four and even if the pulp was included it’s never going to be a high carb drink.
To make the base of the rhubarb lemonade, roughly chop the rhubarb. You’ll need about 3-4 stalks, depending on size.
Add them to a saucepan, together with water and low carb sweetener – I used Lakanto – a monkfruit blend that is my new favorite!
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb has completely broken down. Strain the mixture through a sieve, pressing down on the rhubarb with the back of spoon to get as much juice as possible.
Discard the pulp. At this point you should have about two cups of liquid. Let it cool then chill until required.
When you’re ready to serve the rhubarb lemonade, pour the rhubarb syrup into a pitcher, and add some ice and lemon slices. To finish, add some sugar free lemonade (something like Sparkling Ice would work well), or your favorite diet lemon and lime soda. Depending on how strong you want your drink, you’ll probably need a couple of cans.
This rhubarb lemonade is absolutely perfect for a hot day! I shared it with my husband who was doing yard work at the time – and it was MUCH appreciated!
Low Carb Rhubarb Lemonade
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 12 oz fresh rhubarb approx 3-4 stalks
- 1½ cup water
- ¼ cup low carb sweetener eg Lakanto
- 2-3 slices lemon
- 2 cans diet lemon and lime soda
- Roughly chop the rhubarb and add it to a saucepan, together with the water and sweetener
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb has completely broken down.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, pressing down on the rhubarb with the back of spoon to get as much juice as possible.
- Discard the pulp. At this point you should have about two cups of liquid. Let it cool, then chill until required.
- When you're ready to serve the rhubarb lemonade, pour the rhubarb syrup into a pitcher, and add some ice and lemon slices.
- To finish, add the sugar free lemonade or diet lemon and lime soda.