This Strawberry French Toast Casserole really is low carb! A creamy and delicious brunch recipe for the whole family to enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This recipe was inspired by one I saw on Taste of Home, and reminded me of creamy stuffed French toast that you can get from diners. Obviously VERY high in carbohydrates, but that's really only the bread.
Luckily, obtaining low carb bread is getting easier and easier – some of my local stores now stock two brands that are keto friendly – something that wouldn't have happened even a few years ago! However, I should note that these products generally aren't gluten free, so read my article on buying low carb bread to find out more:
How to Make a Low Carb Strawberry French Toast Casserole
Slice your preferred low carb bread into cubes, and set aside.
In a stand mixer bowl, add some softened cream cheese, powdered sweetener (I used Lakanto – get 20% off anything in the Lakanto store if you use coupon code SAFTC), and some vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
Stir in some sliced fresh strawberries.
Grease an 8×8″ baking dish and fill the base with half of the bread cubes. Spoon the strawberry mixture over the top, then finish with the remaining bread. In a jug, whisk together some eggs, heavy cream, and unsweetened almond milk.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread, then bake for 30 minutes or until the egg has set. Let cool for five minutes before serving.
I absolutely love this recipe! The crunchy top is met by the fruity creamy layer, and then the soft eggy bread to follow. And if you have any leftovers it reheats well in the microwave – the top layer of bread won't be crunchy but it still tastes great!
Oh and you can totally make it all in advance, keep it in the fridge overnight, and then it's all ready to bake in the morning!
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add the softened cream cheese, ¼ cup of the powdered sweetener, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Stir in the strawberries.
- Grease an 8x8" baking dish and fill the base with half of the bread cubes. Spoon the strawberry mixture over the top, then finish with the remaining bread.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and unsweetened almond milk. Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the egg has set. If the bread on top starts to look a little dry, push it down into the cream cheese mixture half way through the cooking time.
- Let cool for five minutes before serving.
Nutritional data is based on the zero carb bread from Natural Ovens. Without the bread the data is as follows: Calories 310, Fat 28g, Total Carbs 8g, Fiber 2g, Net Carbs 6g, Protein 7g.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 390Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 167mgSodium 440mgCarbohydrates 32gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 26gProtein 15g