This Thai basil beef recipe is a delicious blend of Asian flavors! Low carb, keto, and sugar free recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This recipe was created because our neighbors had an excess of Thai basil and asked if I wanted it. Now here in the Midwest we've only just got proper spring, so I was wondering how he had excess herbs. Turned out they had been trying out a AeroGarden and they love it! Definitely something I will look into!
Thai food is well known for its flavor combination of salty, sweet, and sour – but if you add the aniseed notes of Thai basil to all that – it gets even better! I've used ground beef for this recipe, but you could definitely use ground pork, chicken, or turkey if you prefer.
How to Make Low Carb Thai Basil Beef
Heat some oil in a large skillet and brown off the beef. Drain off most of the excess fat. Add a diced red pepper, minced garlic, and onion powder. If you want to know how many carbs in red bell pepper – it's only 3.3g net carbs for the whole pepper! It adds color and flavor too – perfect for this recipe!
Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add some fish sauce, low carb sweetener*, lime juice and the Thai basil leaves.
*Sweetener is always optional in a savory dish, but I think just a little sweetener makes the balance of flavors really work in this recipe. Also, if you don't have any fish sauce (nam pla), then you could substitute soy sauce. It wouldn't be quite the same – but good enough!
Get 10% off when you order from Miracle Noodles direct! Use coupon code “AFF10” on checkout to get your discount!
Low Carb Thai Basil Beef
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp low carb sweetener eg Swerve
- ¼ cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- 2 green onions sliced
- red pepper flakes optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown off the beef. Drain off most of the excess fat.
- Add the diced red pepper, minced garlic, and onion powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the fish sauce, low carb sweetener, lime juice and the Thai basil leaves.
- Warm through then serve, garnished with sliced green onions, more Thai basil, and some red pepper flakes - if you like a little heat!