This zucchini carbonara uses squash instead of traditional spaghetti to make it a super-tasty low carb entree.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Spaghetti carbonara is not a dish that I have given up lightly since eating low carb. The comforting combination of bacon, eggs and pasta is just perfect. When I was making zoodles the other day it occurred to me that I could use them to make a low carb carbonara dish. And that’s just what I did!
Fry some chopped bacon and onion in some olive oil until the onion has softened and the bacon is cooked but not crispy. Can’t you just smell that bacon?!!? Add the zucchini and continue to cook until they have softened. In a cup or bowl, beat an egg and add some black pepper. You could also add a little heavy cream here , but it is optional.
Pour it into the pan and quickly stir it around to disperse it. Keep stirring until the egg has cooked.
Add some shredded Parmesan and you are ready to serve! And in case you are wondering – yes this IS a meal for one! But is easy to increase if you have others to cook for!
I just love the balance of flavors with this dish – almost as much as I love the original pasta version. Salty, creamy, savory, peppery – so much going on!Low Carb Zucchini Carbonara #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 egg
- black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 tbs heavy cream optional
- Make the zucchini into "zoodles" by using a spiralizer or julienne peeler.
- Saute the onion and bacon in olive oil until the onion has softened and the bacon is cooked but not crispy.
- Add the zucchini noodles and continue to saute until they are cooked through.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, black pepper and cream (if using). Pour the mixture into the pan and toss to coat. Stir frequently until the egg is cooked.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and serve.
9g net carbs per serving (whole recipe)
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!