This low carb chicken salsa verde recipe is tart, tangy and tasty!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I remember trying to make a salsa verde when I was living in the UK – fresh tomatillos were unheard of, canned ones rare. So it is a delight to have these tart little fruits readily available to me now that I live in the US. And this dish shows off their wonderful flavor perfectly!
To a blender add roughly chopped tomatillos, chicken stock, fresh cilantro, green onions and ground cumin. Blend until you get a salsa-like consistency. This can be prepared in advance – which I like to do because it means I can get the blender all washed up and put away ahead of time!
Chop the chicken into chunks or strips and saute in olive oil until browned all over. Add the salsa verde, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and fast simmer for 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.Low Carb Chicken Salsa Verde #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 8 fresh tomatillos roughly chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 2 green onions roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts cut into chunks or strips
- salt and black pepper
- In a blender, add tomatillos, cilantro, chicken broth, green onions and cumin. Blend until loose salsa consistency.
- Saute the chicken strips in olive oil until browned all over.
- Add the salsa verde, bring to boil, and fast simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Mexican Recipes Ebook!
If you adore Mexican food, you'll love this ebook collection of 18 delicious low carb Mexican recipes!