Roasted fennel is a fantastic low carb side dish! I've added some radishes for flavor and color contrast, and finished with fresh chives!
This post may contain affiliate links.
This is only my second fennel recipe on the site – the first one being a deliciously creamy low carb fennel gratin – which is kind of surprising as I love it! But I'm limited in the ways I know how to cook it, so I'm starting easy with roasted fennel. You can expect several more keto fennel recipes in the next few months!
Fennel is an often overlooked member of the carrot family, and is a good source of vitamins C and B6, niacin, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and copper. One cup of sliced fennel (87g) contains just over 3g net carbs.
Update: Check out my collection of all the best low carb and keto fennel recipes!
How to Make Roasted Fennel with Radishes
Prepare the fennel by removing the fronds and stalks (reserve some of the fronds for garnish). Slice the bulb vertically so that each slice is still connected via the base of the bulb.
Add them to a baking dish together with some halved radishes. Drizzle some olive oil (or avocado oil) over and season with salt and black pepper.
Roast in a preheated oven covered with foil for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Garnish with chopped fresh chives and the fennel fronds.
This dish is a fantastic union of sweet aniseed from the fennel, mellow mustard flavors from the radishes, and a hint of onion from the chives.
- 4 fennel bulbs
- 8 oz radishes, halved
- 2 tbs olive oil or avocado oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs chopped chives, to garnish
- chopped fennel fronds to garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare the fennel by removing the fronds and stalks (reserve some of the fronds for garnish). Slice the bulb vertically so that each slice is still connected via the base of the bulb.
- Add them to a baking dish together with the radishes. Drizzle the oil over and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast, covered with foil for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Garnish with chopped fresh chives and the fennel fronds.
5g net carbs per (large) serving of quarter of the recipe.
This side dish could easily serve 6 or even 8 portions!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 1g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.