This creamy fennel gratin is a wonderful low carb side dish to go with fish or chicken.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I don’t cook fennel very often, probably because my husband isn’t a huge fan. In fact I think this is the first mention of it on the blog – apart from when it is in season! But there is about 10g net carbs per fennel bulb, which can easily feed two as a side dish if you add a few other ingredients. So when my husband went away on business the other week, I got started on this fennel recipe!
I decided to make an easy fennel gratin (a gratin is a baked dish that has been topped with breadcrumbs, cheese, egg or butter). I topped the dish with grated Parmesan, but feel free to experiment with other types of cheese. Or you could try a pork rind style topping like in my Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin recipe.
I’ve paired the aniseedy fennel with cream, which work together perfectly. However it does make the dish higher in fat. This isn’t a problem for some low-carbers, but if you prefer, try the dish without it!
To prepare the fennel, trim the stalks and fronds from the bulbs, reserving some fronds for garnish if desired. Chop the bulbs into small wedges or slices, whichever you prefer.
Place them in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water, then cover and microwave for 5 minutes on full power. The fennel should just start to be fork-tender in places. Drain the fennel and transfer to a baking dish.
Mix together some heavy cream, garlic paste (or minced garlic), salt, and black pepper. Add some finely chopped green onions and pour everything over the fennel. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan over the top of everything.
Bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until the top is golden brown. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds and serve. This would be the perfect side dish for steamed fish or grilled chicken!
Low Carb Fennel Gratin #lowcarb #lowcarbsides Click To Tweet
Low Carb Fennel GratinPrint
- 2 large fennel bulbs stalks and fronds removed
- 2 tbs water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- salt and black pepper
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 380F.
- Chop the fennel bulbs into small wedges or slices, whichever you prefer.
- Place them in a microwave-safe bowl with the water, then cover and microwave for 5 minutes on full power. Drain the fennel and transfer to a baking dish.
- Mix together the heavy cream, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Add the green onions and pour everything over the fennel. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan over the top of everything.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until the top is golden brown.
7g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!