This low carb red pepper and buffalo mozzarella salad is served with a warm anchovy dressing.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Mozzarella is a confusing cheese. There are so many levels of quality that it almost needs different names. At the basic level there is the cheese that is used on pizzas and for string cheese. It’s very mild, and therefore often popular with kids. A step up from this are various kinds of mozzarella in balls. They could be one big ball maybe 3-4″ across, or little balls which are perfect for salads. They are softer with a different texture. At the top of the pile is buffalo mozzarella balls. Although similar in taste to regular mozzarella balls, buffalo mozzarella is much more flavorful. It might be wasted on a pizza, but it is perfect for salads!
Note: Since writing this post I have discovered burrata – which is really worth trying and would also be great in this recipe!!!
You can buy pre-roasted red peppers in jars, but for a salad like this where it is a focus, I prefer to roast my own. Well – actually I broil them, but that somehow doesn’t sound so nice. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and stalk. Place them cut-side down on a baking pan (I love this quarter-size pan that comes with a silicone mat!).
Place under the broiler until the skin has blackened.
Using tongs, put the peppers in a sealed plastic bag for five minutes. Remove from the bag and peel off the skin. You may need a knife for the edges. Cut the peppers into small strips. Construct the rest of the salad by adding arugula, basil leaves and the red peppers to a bowl. Tear the buffalo mozzarella into pieces, and pat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Add them to the salad.
To make the dressing, add olive oil and anchovy paste to a small skillet. Sauté until the paste has melted into the oil. Add chopped green onions and red wine vinegar.
Sauté for a few minutes until the onions have softened. Whisk in some extra oil, then drizzle over the salad.Roasted Red Pepper and Buffalo Mozzarella Salad #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 2 red bell peppers halved, seeds and stalk removed
- 2 cups arugula
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves torn
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella approx 8 oz
- 2 tbs olive oil divided
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- Place the red peppers on a baking pan cut side down. Broil until the skin has blackened.
- Place the peppers in a sealable plastic bag for 5 minutes. Remove from the bag. Peel off the skin and discard. Chop the peppers into small strips.
- Add the arugula, basil leaves and peppers to a serving bowl. Tear the mozzarella up, pat with paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Add to the bowl.
- In a small frying pan, saute 1 tablespoon of the oil and the anchovy paste for 1 minute. Add the green onions and red wine vinegar. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining oil.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
5g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!