What is Burrata? Here's everything you need to know about this fantastic cheese, plus some low carb recipes for you to try!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Have you tried burrata? Personally, I think it should be one of those special low-carb-high-fat treats that no-one else should be allowed to enjoy. It is THAT good! 🙂
Burrata is fresh mozzarella cheese that is stuffed with a mixture of mozzarella curds and cream, then rolled into a log or ball.
When you cut into the ball, the gooey cheese center dribbles out and it tastes AMAZING.
So what can you do with this cheese? I have so many ideas for you to try! And I absolutely DO NOT just eat it with a spoon. Never. Ever.
Burrata can just be served as an appetizer to share, drizzled with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Alternatively you could slice it and put it into salads. I've also topped pizzas with it ( Great Low Carb Bread Pizza Crust is shown below). Classic pairings include tomato, basil, prosciutto, fig, beets, arugula and asparagus.
You can even make your own – but despite how much I *love* this cheese, that might be one step too far for me!
Here are some mouth-watering low carb recipe ideas:
- Roasted Asparagus with Burrata and Gremolata from Fork Knife Swoon
- Spaghetti Squash with Cherry Tomatoes from Step Away From The Carbs
- Zucchini Noodles with Burrata and Cherry Tomatoes from The Londoner
- Burrata, Strawberry and Basil Salad from Bon Appetit
- Cauliflower Risotto with Roasted Red Peppers from Step Away From The Carbs
- Burrata Salsa from Food & Wine
- Prosciuttio, Burrata and Marinated Artichoke Appetizer from Step Away From The Carbs
- Blueberry Salad from Ciao Veggie
- Steamed Leeks with Burrata from Step Away From The Carbs
Did I mention that this amazing cheese is also carb free? If you buy a commercial brand like Bel Gioioso, they sell it in 8oz balls (or sometimes 2 x 4oz balls). Per 1oz serving, the nutritional data is 70 calories, 4g saturated fat, 0g carbohydrates, 5g protein.
2017 Update: In CostCo I can now buy containers of little 2oz balls from the cheese aisle – they are PERFECT for snacking, or as a topping for a steak!
Here's my new recipe for Steak with Mini Burrata and Grilled Veggies!
Check out my Low Carb Starter Pack Ebook!
Are you just beginning your low carb journey? Check out my starter pack of printables!
Check out my Everything Zero Carb Ebook!
Here's everything you need to know about eating carb free!